First Smoke - Chicken & Ribs

trikebubble

First off, dinner awesome, probably the best chicken thighs and most likely the best ribs I've ever cooked.
This was a rush to get done, and an impromptu Sunday afternoon backyard bbq. The DB was still sitting in the box Sunday morning, by noon I'd burned it in, and by 1pm I had the ribs on.

I obviously am eager to learn and perfect the food I smoke, but for a first smoke it all seemed very tasty enough. I went with a 3-2-1 on the ribs. I only had a couple hours prior to season with a homemade rub before putting them on at around 200*. I made a spritz with apple juice and worster and used it every 1/2 hour or so. I bought some bbq sauce called "Tubbs" (I think) and glazed them with the bbq sauce after removing the foil for the last hour.

I brined the chicken for a couple hours, then used a spicy mequite rub I found somewhere (cant recall the name). I put a little butter under the skin and cooked them at the same 200* (along side the ribs) for a bout 2 hours (spritzing and flipping along the way also). When I pulled the ribs, I cranked her up to 400* to get the internal temp up to 180* on the chicken and get a nice crispy skin. I also put a little bbq sauce with melted butter on the chicken thighs as they cooked as well.

I think that covers it. I used the pellets that came with the GMG, can't recall the name but they were some sort of "competition blend" I seem to recall.

All in all, I could not be happier. The DB performed flawlessly, I love the remote option (it is worth every penny and highly recommended). It seems I am already booked by the Wife an friends to now to smoke for the next few weekends.

Ducaticraig

What a great first cook. Even more impressive was the fact your DB was in the box Sunday morning and by 1 pm you had the ribs on. Good job and thanks for the pictures.

Craig

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TentHunter

Wow; You didn't waste any time getting it put together and up and running.

Great job, & the food looks mighty fine too!

Top Bottom