NY Strip Loin - Cooked like a Prime Rib

TentHunter

If you like NY Strips steaks, and the tenderness of Prime Rib, then you'll like this.

It was our belated 22nd anniversary dinner, I wanted to cook something special, and the butcher had N.Y. Strips on sale for $7.99/lb. Perfect!
I asked him cut me a 4lb roast. Since I'm a regular and it was for our anniversary, he gave it to me for $7.50/lb. EVEN BETTER!!! :)

I started by coating it with some brown mustard & seasoning it with some Little Louie's W/Black Pepper & rosemary. Insert a food probe into the center, place the roast on the MAK running at 275°, close the lid and let it ride.
NYSTRIP1.JPG

I like pulling the roast off at an I.T. of 135°. The carry-over heat take it to around 145° - the upper edge of Medium Rare to just barely Medium - just where I like it.*
NYSTRIP2.JPG

*If you prefer it Rare, then pull it off around 117° - 124°. For Med-Rare: 125° - 134°. Medium: 135° - 144°. REMEMBER: The temperature will continue to rise another 5 - 10 degrees.

After a good 30 - 35 minute rest, the internal temp leveled out at 144° (right where I wanted). Time to slice!
NYSTRIP3.JPG

A simple salad and some buttered rice were all that was needed with it.
NYSTRIP4.JPG

It sure was good, and the wife was happy, which is what counts! ;)

Thanks for looking.

So Cal Smoker

Outstanding Cliff, NY strip steaks are my favorite but now you've got me thinking NY roast. Maybe on the rotisserie.
Thanks for sharing Cliff.
Bill

Top Bottom