1 Star Sear Grate

Tomsmccann

Hi guys. My wife asked what I want santa to leave me under the lid of my 1 star this year, and it has gotten my wheels turning. I am thinking the sear grate in addition to a few other accessories. My question is, is the flamezone kit a must to actually be able to achieve results with the sear grate? I read that people have gotten great results with using grill grates by just placing them on top of their standard MAK grate, which makes me think I may not need the flamezone. If I have to get the flamezone, MAK mobile will have to wait.

Tomsmccann

Also, does anyone know how many inches (height) there is from the bottom of the grill down to the bottom storage shelf if it is added? I'm trying to determine if I will need new storage containers if I add the shelf. Thanks

SmokinKat

Good morning Tomsmccann! What a great Christmas list you've got going!

Getting the Flame Zone kit would be a bigger improvement in searing capabilities compared to the searing grate. The searing grate does get hotter than the stainless steel grates on your MAK, but with the blank grease pan that comes standard on the 1 Stars, you're not getting direct heat to the meat. So using the searing grate on your current set up would get you somewhat darker marks on the surface, but it would be tantamount to cooking the steak in a convection oven.

Many of our 2 star owners rave about the searing capabilities of the Flame Zone, and they're just using the standard stainless grates that come on the grills. So you might consider getting the Flame Zone kit for the direct-heat searing capabilities and see how you like how it sears, then later if you want to ramp it up to 11, put the searing grate on your birthday list.

As for the bottom shelf space-- its surface is 15 1/4" from the bottom of the grill. Remember that the grill body does get quite hot, so you wouldn't want to put anything too close to it.

TentHunter

I like the FlameZone better for searing than just the blank pan + Searing grate. It's exactly for the reason that Kat gave above: the direct heat.

If you do get the FlameZone kit, DO NOT get rid of your blank pan. I like the FlameZone better for searing or zone cooking, and original blank pan better for smoking & indirect cooking. The two pans are very easy and quick to swap out. I think with both drip pans I get the best of both worlds.

rwalters

I like the FlameZone better for searing than just the blank pan + Searing grate. It's exactly for the reason that Kat gave above: the direct heat.

If you do get the FlameZone kit, DO NOT get rid of your blank pan. I like the FlameZone better for searing or zone cooking, and original blank pan better for smoking & indirect cooking. The two pans are very easy and quick to swap out. I think with both drip pans I get the best of both worlds.

Curious to know if your 1 Star is your primary "grilling machine"... or do you tend to grill on one of your other cookers?

KyNola

My MAK 2 Star is the only grill I own. Like others, I would recommend the FlameZone kit over the searing grates. My stock 2 Star gets plenty hot enough to sear. It will also provide grill marks which personally I could care less about as they do nothing to increase flavor. Like TentHunter I use the blank pan for smoking and lower heat cooking.

rwalters

My MAK 2 Star is the only grill I own. Like others, I would recommend the FlameZone kit over the searing grates. My stock 2 Star gets plenty hot enough to sear. It will also provide grill marks which personally I could care less about as they do nothing to increase flavor. Like TentHunter I use the blank pan for smoking and lower heat cooking.

Would you happen to have any grilled food pics you can share? Would love to see some grilled food from the MAK when using the FlameZone. Steak, chicken, burgers, etc.

SmokinKat

Rwalters, here is a ribeye and zucchini cook I did recently with just the flame zone. Good crispy fat on the ribeye, and some pretty grill marks on the veggies.

ribeye%20finished_zpsml8rxvnv.jpg

SmokinKat

This was done on a 2 star-- I'm lucky enough to get to cook on both types of grills (perks of working for and doing testing for the company!!) It's just the standard set up on both grills-- so I have the blank grease pan on the 1 Star, and the Flame Zone kit on the 2 star.

Top Bottom