16ga. 304 & Aluminized steel........

SmokinSteiny

Please, forgive me if this has been asked in the past. I'm confused on how the 16ga. 304 & aluminized steel compares to your standard whatever gauge steal on any other pit????

I've tried to look this up but I come to no real answer on what's the pros and cons if any vs the other. I know the old 2 Star had just the lid that was made from this and now the 2012 edition has the whole pit body composed from it.

Was this for better heat control, does the 304 & aluminized steel retain heat better then your typical steel used for pits?

What's the comparison, like is the 16ga. steel on the MAK 2 Star comparable to say 14ga. "normal" steel or whatever you would call it on other pits???

I'm just trying to educate myself as I'm not in a trade where we use steel, and is really unfamiliar to me.

Thanks in advance!
Steiny

MAK DADDY

Here are the basics.
Aluminized steel is normal steel with a coating of aluminum impregnated onto it. It's main advantages for our industry is corrosion protection and heat refraction.

gauge of metal is the thickness, 16ga is .060 thick where 14ga is .075 thick. MAK uses multiple gauges in various parts of the grill for life of the part as well as strength, heat refraction, heat retention, cosmetics etc.

304 is the grade of stainless steel we use. 304 has the highest nickel content which equals the best corrosion protection possible from stainless and is also the most expensive because of that reason. All other stainless series are based against 304 for corrosion resistance. A lot of manufacturer's use 200 series or 400 series stainless because it is quite a bit less expensive due to less nickel.

Hope this answers your questions.
Bob

SmokinSteiny

Bob, Thanks for the most part it does. I got one question left for you, so this will retain heat better then a normal 16ga body and hood???

MAK DADDY

Yes, just remember it's still a pellet grill so you have induction air moving in and out of the pit constantly unlike a charcoal or stick burner pit. One of the ways we keep the heat/moisture inside the pit is to slow the fan down at the lower temps, this also aids in temp swings and gives us some unique smoking advantages :)

TentHunter

This right here is part of the reason we chose a MAK grill. I like that Bob (MAK Daddy) is so involved here and questions get answered either by him or Big Poppa!

Just sayin'...

SmokinSteiny

Thank, TH. I haven't experienced MAK as of yet.... but I've had plenty of experiences now with BP and BPS and amazed by them every time! If anyone was to have an actual legitimate complaint about them I would be truly surprised!

Big Poppa

Administrator
thanks steiny...think of us when you buy your grill...I know the two you are down to....The MAK just works all the time!

SmokinSteiny

NP, BP you are my BBQ store of choice, except for the odd and end spices and things and it's just cause you don't carry those items but as long as BPS rubs and spices are made they will be the main ones in my spice rack because they are amazing! My wife told me yesterday that I just need to buy what I really want cause if I don't she knows I'll be disappointed with myself and always wish I had. So the other day I threw the new 2012 2 star pack back in my cart with all the bells and whistles. To include a second half rack, the only thing I didn't put in there was the rib rack, I just don't make enough at a time to really need them and with the top rack no need for it. It's gonna hurt the pocket book abit but I'm gonna be a happier man this way. :)

SmokinSteiny

Yeah it's still in the cart but I won't be pulling the trigger till october, want it to arrive right before I come home in November. Yes sure am, and I'll call Kristen before I order!!! TY!

SmokinSteiny

HELLS YEAH!!!!!!! I'm soooooooooo looking forward to a true smoked turkey this year STC! I'm gonna have to revisit BP's turkey thread to school myself up! It'll be my first!

squirtthecat

They will be dirt cheap, so you can practice with a couple low dollar (if not 'free') birds from County Market or ShopNSave.

Top Bottom