24 Hours at the American Royal

Rip

It's just before noon on Friday. A glorious sunny fall day with temps in the 70's is well underway and I've just parked right in front of the entrance to the largest BBQ competition in the world. Within three hours you won't be able to park anywhere near this place.

There're 140 teams are participating in the Invitational, over 500 teams are entered into the Open. (most Invitational teams compete in the Open too). That's a lot of teams!

While a lot of the teams arrived yesterday, there's still plenty of teams arriving and setup work going on, the entire grounds are a beehive of activity.

I find the Smoke On Wheels site, nobody's home...no problem, according to the map the BPS team is a short distance a way. Sterling greets me as I enter the BPS site and moments later I'm relaxing with a beer (Newcastle brown ale) and shooting the breeze with the team. The Godfather emerges from the adjacent trailer and is almost instantly beset with folks requesting a photo op, (this scene is repeated just about every time Johnny Trigg is visible to the public). Johnny and his wife join us and shortly thereafter the guys from Memphis Grills join in too.
IMG_1073sm.jpg

Brad, Joe, and the 1-Stars.
IMG_1074sm.jpg

Earlier I had texted Andy to let him know I had arrived and was at BPS, he had replied they were out getting parsley for themselves and a few other teams and would be back shortly. I head back to SOW and Andy is busy getting ready to trim the big meats.

Here Andy is talking to Todd Johns (on the right)...yeah that Todd, ever use Plowboy's rubs? (highly recommended!)
IMG_1075sm.jpg

With two competitions, it's a busy weekend, here's the Cook's Schedule.
IMG_1078sm.jpg

Andy preps his briskets.
IMG_1080sm.jpg

I stick around long enough to steal his trimming secrets and then step out for a cold one. The SOW site is just east of Kemper Arena. The BPS site is two rows to the west.
IMG_1082sm.jpg

The American Royal BBQ comp is held in the heart of KC's historic West Bottoms district. This was once the center of the meat packing industry.
IMG_1083sm.jpg

Yeah, I have a competitor wrist band (how cool is that?)
IMG_1084sm.jpg

Andy and Kim are just storing these for others, honest!
IMG_1085sm.jpg

Back inside some friends from Texas are picking Andy's brain for tips on chicken.
IMG_1086sm.jpg

Lots more to follow...soon I hope!

Rip

Part2

Back outside, Kyle Laval from Wired BBQ (WiredBBQ, barbecue, barbeque, BBQ, video, interviews, competition BBQ, BBQ restaurants, BBQ contests, barbecue video, BBQ competition) stopped by to chat with Todd and others (that's George, Andy's sous chef in the Deez Nuts shirt). Andy had so many groupies this weekend, I was lucky to be his sous gopher.
IMG_1087sm.jpg

Hey, anybody remember Wayne, ("Night Guy"), from my Marysville report? http://www.pelletsmoking.com/competition-19/marysville-ks-big-blue-bbq-june-3rd-4th-1893/index3.html. Well, that's Wayne on the right.
IMG_1095sm.jpg

Here's another look at the BP compound.
IMG_1096sm.jpg

In the background here (south from SOW and BPS) is the Exhibition Hall and Hale Arena (where the awards are held).
IMG_1097sm.jpg

In the right foreground you can see the BPS Awning, SOW is the 5th wheel and awning behind the Kansas flag (rt center).
IMG_1100sm.jpg

Yeah, the Captain was there....more on the sculpture behind him later....
IMG_1107sm.jpg

Out of critical supplies for the comp? Among other things in the Exhibition hall was a Walmart specializing in BBQ Comp supplies.
IMG_1108sm.jpg

Random shots....
IMG_1115sm.jpg

IMG_1116sm.jpg

IMG_1120sm.jpg

More to come......

Rip

Part3

These guys actually had t-shirts made up with this slogan too. I was going to photograph them, but they looked kinda ornery.
IMG_1126sm.jpg

These guys stopped by later to say hi to Andy...ok, just about everybody stopped by to say hi to Andy...don't know how he stays focused!
IMG_1127sm.jpg

Appropriately, just after this site are trains.
IMG_1129sm.jpg

Random shots....
IMG_1130sm.jpg

IMG_1132sm.jpg

IMG_1133sm.jpg

This row of taps went on the entire length of the trailer...
IMG_1134sm.jpg

I watched this guy take sausage off this grill for almost a whole minute...Tent, you would have loved it!
IMG_1136sm.jpg

Nuff said.
IMG_1137sm.jpg

I don't remember this teams name...but I'm pretty sure I saw Piglet and Eeyore having a beer!
IMG_1140sm.jpg

More to follow, probably tomorrow night.

HoDeDo

GREAT pics Rip!! I have said it before, but there is nothing like the American Royal. Reaffirms why we do it. The Texans in the pic were "Papa Jim" and Mike... a few years back the royal was thier 1st KCBS event (they won IBCA, and got an invite t0 the AR invitational.... We gave them the run down on garnish, and pork (not an entry they do in IBCA) and they are now great friends!!! One of the many stories like that out there. We love seeing them at the AR now.

The energy that place emits is the only thing that can keep you going two days later.... But at some point 12 hrs of sleep is in my future. :) At work right now - picking up trailer over lunch, then rocking it at the office this after noon.... then I will be sleeping from 5pm to 5am Tuesday!!

LOVED getting some time with BPS, And we did have about 10 people hanging out for the weekend, so RIP is right, our site was usually a buzz. That is what makes the royal so special. You see sooooo many folks. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!

ACW3

Great Pics! Great post! This must be added to my bucket list, as a spectator, maybe a judge, and possibly as a competitor. Looks like a lot of fun. the opportunity to meet and greet so many famous cooks must be mind boggling.

Art

Rip

Part4 - The Dark Side

With over 500 teams, you can imagine this place is huge! Here's a map:
http://www.americanroyal.com/portals/0/11BBQGroundsMap.pdf

SOW, BPS, Smoking Triggers, etc are all in Lot B. Everything south of the Exhibiton Hall complex is unofficially referred to as the Dark Side...there are two viaducts crossing over this area which gave it a real mysterious feel, especially after dark. Most of the corporate party sites are down here and it gets crazy. Almost every other site has a stage set up with lights, amplifiers, etc. After dark it's like a giant battle of the bands. Right now though it's mostly setup going on.
IMG_1110sm.jpg

Here we're facing north back towards the exhibition hall.
IMG_1111sm.jpg

IMG_1112sm.jpg

Field and bleachers, nice!
IMG_1113sm.jpg

IMG_1114sm.jpg

This site is typical of the smaller stage setups.
IMG_1117sm.jpg

IMG_1118sm.jpg

Going with the stockyards motif, I see a lot of stock fences in use.
IMG_1121sm.jpg

One of the bigger stages. I hear this chandelier has been hung at The Royal for as long as anyone can remember.
IMG_1122sm.jpg

IMG_1125sm.jpg

Rip

Part5

Still in the Dark Side. Btw, Andy spent years in the Dark Side with his sponsor doing the large corporate party site gig...ask him about it, great stories!

The were at least ten guys in this site wearing these shirts.
IMG_1139sm.jpg

IMG_1123sm.jpg

Leaving the Dark Side I reenter the Exhibition Hall. One of the benefits you get by having an on-site rep here (me) is exclusive stories....oh look, one of the doors to Hale Arena isn't locked! As promised, here's the inside dirt on the site of the awards ceremonies....(ta, dump)
IMG_1141sm.jpg

Back outside I check out the large sculpture.
IMG_1144sm.jpg

High pressure nozzles inside the sclupture give a very convincing illusion of steam, later I'll have after dark shots of this.
IMG_1145sm.jpg

I decide to swing by BPS on the way back. This shot is on the way, I think most of you have heard of these guys.
IMG_1102sm.jpg

Arriving at BP central I find the featured guest of the moment, Candy Sue! One of many regrets re. the short duration of my trip is not getting to spend more time hanging with BP.
IMG_1146sm.jpg

'nuff said
IMG_1148sm.jpg

While chatting with BP and Candy Sue (fascinating btw) the whole SOW team strolls in and joins the group. Here's Andy and Sterling with the girls (Lauren and Kaylin)
IMG_1150sm.jpg

I want to take a moment here to express what gracious hosts BP, Andy, and Kim are! Those of you who have been lucky enough to have experienced it know what I'm talking about. BBQ Comp folks are special and these folks are the cream of the crop! Thanks for everything!
IMG_1147sm.jpg

More to follow....soon!

SisInLaw

Wow! Thanks for giving us such a wonderful photographic journey, Rip. Love it, love it, gotta have more OF it!

Rip

Part 6

Back at SOW headquarters, Kim inquires if I'm hungry and then points me towards Andy who's across the street. I join him and stuff myself with ribs, pulled pork sammies, baked beans, green beans, cheesy potatoes, and in a moment of restraint, I skipped the macaroni. Very tasty! A little while later Andy mentions we're invited for prime rib at 4 Legs Up...among their many GC's, these guys were GC at the 2008 Jack! So, good thing I didn't have that extra pulled pork sammie!

The sun is going west fast and the temps are headed for the 40's tonight, might be time to switch to jeans!
IMG_1153sm.jpg

I decide to walk around the north end of lot B work off some of the dinner I just ate.
IMG_1154sm.jpg

IMG_1155sm.jpg

IMG_1157sm.jpg

IMG_1158sm.jpg

I come across the Moo Cow team, (as featured in my Marysville Big Blue BBQ report),I stop in to say hi and Shane is busy slicing an experimental "sausage meatloaf". Try some? sure! It was pretty good!
IMG_1159sm.jpg

Back at SOW, Craig from Texas Pepper Jelly fame has just dropped off some trial samples of products he has under development. Kim immediately opens the Texas Sweet BBQ Sauce sample and we all try it...two thumbs up! Here's Craig displaying the goods.
IMG_1160sm.jpg

Attendees have been streaming in for hours now, the SOW site is at the crossroads of two main walkways and a great place to sit and watch the event from. Cold beer anyone?

As it gets dark we head off to the 4 Legs Up site. Soaking up the ambiance, the wind has died, everyone has cookers going, stuffed as I am, this still has to be one of the finer culinary experiences in world!
IMG_1161sm.jpg

IMG_1162sm.jpg

More...soon!

Rip

Part 7

Arriving at 4 legs up we're served absolutely awesome prime rib by Kelly Wertz himself! Here Loren and Roddy, (Andy groupies from Morristown, NJ) go back for seconds.
IMG_1165sm.jpg

Kim brings samples of her dessert contest entry, (and leaves the gun home)....
IMG_1163sm.jpg

There were lots of sides, mostly desserts, but I stop after one canoli. Lauren demonstrates the quickest way to defrost a canoli.
IMG_1166sm.jpg

While everyone finishes up I head down to take pics of the smoking sculpture.
IMG_1168sm.jpg

It was hard to capture the size of this on film.
IMG_1170sm.jpg

Next we all wandered over to see what BPS was up to. Sterling displays their dinner, crown pork roast and jalapeño corn bread. Smells heavenly!
IMG_1172sm.jpg

BP announces the pork is done and Andy and I line up with the team to get a sample, absolutely fabulous! Sterling invites me to stay for dinner but I'm stuffed! Now I'm kicking myself, but at the time I really couldn't eat another dinner.

We make a plan with Brad and Joe to meet up later and head over to the dark side.

After we get back to SOW site I head out to shoot a few shots.
IMG_1175sm.jpg

IMG_1176sm.jpg

Periodically, groups of small hot balloons were being launched from various locations around the venue...I spied a group about to launch and headed over.
IMG_1184sm.jpg

These were the last of a nine balloon launch.
IMG_1186sm.jpg

Top Bottom