Beef Jerky and Snack Sticks...

SmokinSteiny

Hey folks,

Got a question for those more experienced than I with homemade beef jerky and snack sticks. I'm really interested in making a bunch while I'm home this next time and mailing it back to Afghanistan so I'm not paying $5 for a small bag of jerky or $2-3 for a snack stick....... So to my question, with homemade Jerky and Snack sticks do they need to be refrigerated?? Would they make a week long trip in the mail???

Thanks guys,

Steiny

MossyMO

Bad time of the year too attempt sending frozen product in my experience. Both jerky and sticks should have a cure in it to sustain it through cool temperatures, but I am unsure how long it would last in warmer temps. I am sure with added expense of dry ice and packed properly it would make the trip. Just my opinion from sharing product over the years, I'm sure others on here have way more experience with shipping jerky and sticks.

SmokinSteiny

Thanks Marty, yeah I won't be back home till November so it'll be alittle cooler. I appreciate you comment, I wasn't sure if they needed to be refrigerated/frozen or if they where shelf stable. It's way to hot right now we are seeing temps as most of you are too back in the states I've seen in the news of the 100's. Thanks Again!

Carter13

I make jerky out of flank steak and when it is done I vacuum seal it in 6 ounch bags.
I usually get each batch ate up within four to six weeks and it is stored in my pantry.
The salt and dehydration process makes the meat safe to store in warm conditions.
I have no experience with snack sticks.

Deb

Steiny,

Send nepas a pm for advice. He has sent tons of jerky and sticks to Afghanistan and Iraq and knows how to do it safe and also how it holds up.

Deb

Top Bottom