Boston Butt Question

bsotoy

I am fixing two Butts on Thursday. One for me and one for a friend. Both will not be eaten for a few days. I plan on pulled pork.
Question: Do I need to pull the pork immediatly or can I wrap and refrigerate the whole Butt?

If I can wrap and refrigerate, what is the best process for warming the Butts?
by the way, got in my first shippment of BBQ Delight Pellets from BP. The Hardwood Assortment and the Fruit Assortment.. They are "Smoken".. what a difference!

ACW3

Personally, I would go ahead and do all the work at once. I'd pull the pork and then, in my case, I'd vacuum seal the results in several manageable packages. By vacuum sealing, you then have the option of dropping each package into boiling water to reheat. If you don't vacuum seal, I'd probably package the meat in large plastic containers. When it is time to reheat, I would put the pulled meat in a slow cooker to reheat. This is a good way to keep it warm all the way through a meal. Hope this helps.

Art

bsotoy

Art, not worried about the work. Vacuum seal is not an option. Just looking for the best results for my friend, I am exchanging this butt for some of the best home grown produce ever. Last trip got the best tomato's ever. If I keep the whole butts, after cooling, would you wrap in plastic and then foil? Thanks for the slow cooker idea..
Barry

ACW3

Barry,
I would probably just foil. If they are still hot/warm when you foil, I would probably just double foil and seal tightly. I have seen a lot of chefs on TV use the plastic, but I believe you can achieve the same thing with just the foil. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Art

HoDeDo

It will not pull after it is cool. IF you dont have a vacuum sealer, I would get the Ziploc Double Guard Freezer bags, or the hand vac bags, pull it, bag it and chill it.
If you have him heat it back to a temp he can pull it at, it will likely be overdone, and I would worry about it getting mushy or dry.

squirtthecat

Ditto.

But I did give one to a friend whole, who's wife promptly threw it in the fridge overnight..

She took an electric knife the next day, and sliced that BRICK of butt into 1/4" chunks (working around the bone of course), and then reheated in the microwave, skillet, whatever - throughout that next week. Turned out great!

bsotoy

Thanks for the comments. I will "pull" both butts following smoking... a lot to learn about this new obsession!
Barry

Top Bottom