Clucking Jerky

MossyMO

My wife asks me the other day "I wonder how chicken breast would be for jerky?", I reply "No idea, let's try it!". These were some good sized chicken breasts!

-----

So we ground up 4 1/2 pounds of chicken breast for ground jerky in the Honey BBQ flavor... and then sliced up 4 1/2 pounds of chicken breast for whole muscle jerky in the Sweet & Spicy flavor. Both the ground and the whole muscle chicken jerky got a combination of maple/hickory/cherry smoke while on the grill, indirect at 150º.

-----

-----

Honey BBQ Ground Chicken Jerky

-----

Sweet & Spicy Whole Muscle Chicken Jerky

End results were that chicken sure makes for a lighter color jerky and the taste is all there, a little more chewy but for the price when chicken goes on sale would definitely make it again!

Thanks for looking!

MossyMO

The ground up chicken jerky was chewy or just the sliced?

Both the sliced whole muscle and the ground chicken were more chewy than normal. We have made jerky with venison, beef, buffalo, goose, antelope in both sliced whole muscle and ground and the chicken is more much more chewy.

TentHunter

Marty, the jerky certainly looks good. and sounds like it has lots of flavor even if it is a bit chewy.

I've tried making Turkey Jerky in the past and was never quite happy with it. So, if you got Chicken Jerky to taste good, you've had better success than I. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom