confused on options, question on grilling

bspooky

So about ready to pull the trigger on smoker and leaning towards mak 2 star general. But a few questions:

1) When you use it as substitute for a quick grill (say after work, turn it up to 400, wait 10-15 minutes, then grill skinless chicken breasts on it) do you get any wood-fire grill or smoke taste?

2) On big pappa smokers site the Mak 2 star general lists a $599 smoker box upgrade....I thought the Mak 2's had the smoker box already?

3) It also lists a searing grate for $89, yet I thought I read somewhere the Mak 2 comes with a searing grate?

4) The description also talks about full flame zone capable....does that mean you only get half a flame zone to start and have to buy the other half?

5) And speaking of flame zone....to switch from smoking to using the flame zone, is it just lift off grill or sear and then remove covers to the flame zone, or is it lift off grill/sear, lift off deflector and replace deflector with deflector flame zone?

6) How does smoke flavor compare for food cooked on a Mak 2 vs a cookshack electric cooker?

Sorry for so many questions.

Salmonsmoker

Bspooky, welcome to the forum. I can't answer your questions, but there are many others here who will answer them. The 2-star is the #1 item on my wish list.

So Cal Smoker

Please, do yourself a big favor and give Big Poppa's a call and I guarantee all your questions will be answered. Once you have the information to make an informed choice you'll feel ready to pull the trigger. Good luck and good smoking.

Pappymn

So about ready to pull the trigger on smoker and leaning towards mak 2 star general. But a few questions:

1) When you use it as substitute for a quick grill (say after work, turn it up to 400, wait 10-15 minutes, then grill skinless chicken breasts on it) do you get any wood-fire grill or smoke taste?

2) On big pappa smokers site the Mak 2 star general lists a $599 smoker box upgrade....I thought the Mak 2's had the smoker box already?

3) It also lists a searing grate for $89, yet I thought I read somewhere the Mak 2 comes with a searing grate?

4) The description also talks about full flame zone capable....does that mean you only get half a flame zone to start and have to buy the other half?

5) And speaking of flame zone....to switch from smoking to using the flame zone, is it just lift off grill or sear and then remove covers to the flame zone, or is it lift off grill/sear, lift off deflector and replace deflector with deflector flame zone?

6) How does smoke flavor compare for food cooked on a Mak 2 vs a cookshack electric cooker?

Sorry for so many questions.

2) The smoker box is a new addition for colder smoking sausage, fish, and many other things.

3) searing grate is an option. IMHO I would skip the Mak searing grate and get Grillgates instead. They make Grillgrates cut to length for the Mak.

4) new Maks come with the full flame zone pan, and two half covers to control the flame zone.

5) to switch, you just remove the half covers. That is all. Takes 10 seconds.

Good luck!

One the right side of the 2 Star is a cold smoke box, but it's on the smaller side. The optional cold smoke box mounts on top of the standard box.

I have it and love it. So far I have cold smoked 11 pounds of home cured bacon and 10 pounds of cheese. At some point I will start doing sausage.

I have not done chicken yet, but I have grilled steaks and thick cut pork loins and yes, you do get a light smoke flavor when grilling.

Top Bottom