Considerations when purchasing a used MAK

LikeAChampion3

Hello MAK community! I'm strongly considering joining the club by purchasing a previously-owned 2 Star General (locally through the owner, no dealer involved). Besides the price, which I won't get into unless it's deemed appropriate, what considerations should I make sure that I address with the seller? The unit is "a few" years old and seems to be in pretty good shape, but I'm not the most familiar with this hardware and don't know what to look for.

I'm not new to BBQ and I think I've used every kind of grill/smoker besides the pellet variety. I'm drawn to the MAK for a variety of reasons, but I don't know what I don't know and would appreciate any guidance you all can provide in making this kind of an investment.

Thank you in advance!

JD McGee

Definitely ask the seller to demo it for you...fire it up and check a few temperature ranges. Ask him/her to show you how the programming works as well as checking the temperature probes in each location. The controller along with craftsmanship and outstanding customer service is what sets MAK apart from the competition! If the controller checks out you should be good to go!

TentHunter

Yep, just ask him to fire it up so you can see how it works. Don't let the temp probes be a deal breaker. If the price is right, jump on it. And remember, Big Poppa Smokers (the sponsor of this forum) carries all the MAK accessories you might want to add.

LikeAChampion3

Thanks folks! Everything checked out and I brought it home last night. It came with a cover and a Magnum PIG Smoke Daddy cold smoker affixed to the front of the main grill chamber.

It's a 2010 model (#251), which is a little older than I had hoped for, but it was a decent deal and I couldn't resist. It's found a home next to my Genesis 330 and it's cool having all that stainless rocking on my deck! Smoked chicken and beans on the grill tonight were excellent...it might be a while before I take the cover off and he Weber.

Anything special to know about the 2010? Do I have any limitations in terms of what I can add or upgrade? I'm already interested in the 2nd tier rack and wifi controller connection. Thanks again!

TentHunter

LikeAChampion3 said:
Anything special to know about the 2010? Do I have any limitations in terms of what I can add or upgrade? I'm already interested in the 2nd tier rack and wifi controller connection. Thanks again!

A PelletBoss update may be needed for adding WiFi. Someone from MAK can answer that best. Otherwise, there are no limitations to what MAK accessories you can add that I am aware of. That's part of the beauty of the MAK line. They keep owners of older models in mind!

Upper Racks:

You can get either a full upper rack, or two upper half racks:

You can find all of the various MAK accessories here: MAK Grills Accessories | Big Poppa Smokers

One MAK accessory I would highly recommend is the MAK Griddle: MAK Griddle - Big Poppa Smokers

I know they seem a little pricey, but you will be surprised at what all you can do with it; sauces, hot dog chili, shallow pan frying, breakfast (eggs, pancakes, etc.), stir frying, grilled sandwiches, etc.

We absolutely love ours! Steak & Shrimp Fajitas in the MAK Griddle!

Last edited:

SmokinKat

Glad to hear it found a good new home! For that model, the upper grates will be the type that have 'legs', not the newer slide-in flat style. They might be referred to as "pre-2015" style.

There are 2 considerations for getting the wi-fi. First thing to check would be the physical control board itself-- the chip plugin wasn't added on the boards until serial numbers 320 and above, so unless that board has been changed out at some point, it might not have the physical hardware necessary to install the chip. You can check that by looking at the back of the board, in the top right hand corner.

wifi%20connection_zpszormyxhn.jpg

If you don't have those two vertical rows of little pin holes, you would need to get a new board to be able to install the wi-fi.

If you DO happen to have those rows of pins, the second consideration for wi-fi is that you need to be on firmware version 2.3 or above for it to run. Just going by the serial number, your board is the type with a black toggle switch for the on/off, is that correct? If so, you can find the firmware version by pressing and holding the SELECT button for about 10-15 seconds until the words MAK GRILLS VER ______ appears on the board.

If you have a newer board with all push buttons, you can press and hold the UP arrow until the MAK GRILLS VER_____ appears.

Hope that helps!

Katrina from MAK

LikeAChampion3

Looks like I'll need a new board as I don't see those pins. That's a shame! I didn't see the boards on the accessories site so I'll have to do some more digging. Thanks for all of your replies, I have a lot to think about with this information! I dipped into my closest local dealer today but the accessories selection was lacking.

The 2 star has been unbelievable thus far. I'm just a few days into ownership and I've managed to cook pretty much every meal possible on it. My only annoyance has been with cleanup, but that's mostly attributed to running it multiple times a day, every day. :) I'll be singing its praises for a long time I'm sure! Couple more questions...

1. Should I expect the grill to smoke constantly when I have it set to SMOKE? Mine seems to cycle on and off a thick smoke every few minutes.
2. The black powder coating is peeling in a few areas, mainly due to how much it's been used since the original owner for it. Any tips or best practices to share? My first thought is to just leave it but I'm tempted to peel the loose chunks.
3. I grabbed some food grade 5 gallon buckets w/ lids to store pellets. How does everyone else keep theirs?

TentHunter

LikeAChampion3 said:
Looks like I'll need a new board as I don't see those pins. That's a shame! I didn't see the boards on the accessories site so I'll have to do some more digging.

There is no need to do "more digging." Call Big Poppa Smokers or MAK. You can order a new controller through them if you want to add the WiFi capability.

LikeAChampion3 said:
1. Should I expect the grill to smoke constantly when I have it set to SMOKE? Mine seems to cycle on and off a thick smoke every few minutes.

You are seeing exactly what you should see. It cycles in smoke mode.

2. The black powder coating is peeling in a few areas, mainly due to how much it's been used since the original owner for it. Any tips or best practices to share? My first thought is to just leave it but I'm tempted to peel the loose chunks.

Again, call MAK. I believe they have a touch-up paint you can get from them. BUT it's not really necessary (except for aesthetic reasons) as the metal under the black powder coat is aluminized steel, and so it will practically never rust.

The 5-gallon buckets are fine. They are stackable, inexpensive, and keep your pellets dry. A lot of folks use them.

Last edited:

LikeAChampion3

Thanks again folks! I discovered the other sections of this forum and will spend some time there this weekend. I'm very happy about the decision to buy the used MAK.

Thus far, I've done whole chickens (twice), ribs (twice), pork shoulder, haddock, bacon, and cheddar cheese. Brats are going on tonight and I'm brining some pork chops for tomorrow. I'm planning to grind beef for burgers on Friday. I couldn't have timed my "stay-cation" any better (but my wife thinks I'm insane)!

Top Bottom