Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok you kids know the drill Bring on some great pellet fired chow

First place $25. Store credit to big poppa smokers
Second place $15 store credit to big poppa smokers
Third place. $10 store credit to big poppa smomers

$5 bucks in credit to bps to all other entries

jimsbarbecue

I may be in violation of the rules with this post as we cooked it a few days ago and sliced it now. It is sandwich meat we will be taking to the Stagecoach Music Festival. The eye round roast is from BP meat locker. Cooked to 125 internal. Then wrapped and left out for at least one hour. then in the freezer for two days, next put in the frig for a day to start the thaw. Slice while still a little frozen allows thinner slices and not losing much of the meat juices. Vacuum packed and frozen until time to go. Also cut a few thin steaks from the roast

IMG_2160-L.jpg

IMG_2163-L.jpg

IMG_2166-L.jpg

IMG_2167-L.jpg

RickB

Burgers Chicken and Corn

Wrap some corn on the cob with some butter, salt and cayenne pepper

IMG_2311_zps3c2c7d67.jpg

Onto the Mak at 275

IMG_2312_zps9c842654.jpg

Mak to 375

Some teriyaki chicken for the wife

IMG_2316_zps455f78c6.jpg

A couple of burgers for me

IMG_2313_zps32e79cf1.jpg

Chicken on

IMG_2320_zpsfc2baf69.jpg

Burgers on

IMG_2322_zps46f752a4.jpg

Wifes plate first. Chicken , salad and some corn off the cob.

IMG_2323_zpse20437d4.jpg

Now mine

IMG_2325_zpsd0cdbe4f.jpg

Enjoy!

scott6049

I posted pics of my first ribs on my MAK. How do I get those pics into this contest? Do I have to repost them here?

Kite

Scott - you can just *edit* your original post, highlight the entire post, copy the post (crtl/c), then paste (ctrl/v) it into this thread. East and fast post into the contest..

scott6049

Decided to cook ribs for the first time on my new MAK 2.
Started off by rubbing the Baby backs with vegetable oil. I then rubbed some homemade rub along with some Big Poppas Money rub.
wrapped up and in the fridge for two hours.

Set the MAK to 225 F and placed ribs on the upper rack with some BBQ beans and bacon below.

Cooked for 4 hours at 225. pulled ribs off remove flame zone covers and cranked up to high. brushed ribs with some homemade BBQ sauce and back on the MAK.

Some Texas Potato's and Corn Casserole

Homemade from scratch cinnamon rolls for desert

Stone

I wanted to build layers of flavor, and having enjoyed Chris Lily's peach pulled pork, borrowed from his fondness for pork and peaches. I then used some techniques from Adam Perry Lang to intensify the favors.

Rub three racks of baby backs with a mustard glue:
1/4C yellow mustard
1/4C water
Tbs Worcestershire
Tbs apple cider vinegar

Then a heavy coat of BPS Money
View attachment 2060

On to the grill for 2 hrs, meat side up. I maintained the MAK 2 Star at 275F throughout the entire cook.

Meanwhile make up a wrapping mixture:
1C brown sugar
1C peach preserves
1/4 C peach nectar

After 2 hrs, ribs are ready to wrap.
View attachment 2061

Pour equal amounts of the wrapping mixture onto sheets of foil and place each rack meat side down into mixture and seal foil tightly. Return to grill, meat side down for 1hr, turning once.

After 1hr, remove the ribs from the cooker and let rest for ~15 minutes. Then unwrap the ribs and give another dusting with BPS Money. Then back on to the smoker for 30 minutes.
View attachment 2062

Follow Chris's recipe for peach bbq sauce:
2C Big Bob Gibson's Red Sauce
1 can of peaches, drained and chopped

Mix together over medium heat and summer for 10 minutes.

After 30 minutes, remove the ribs and give an even coating of the sauce. Then back on to the cooker for 25 minutes.

Give the ribs a couple sprays with a peach juice spray (1/2 peach nectar, 1/2 water) and remove from the grill.
View attachment 2063

Slice and enjoy!
View attachment 2064

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MossyMO

Beef Ribs... It's what for dinner!

Started with 2 sides of beef ribs...

-----

Used a cherry flavored balsamic glaze and Simply Marvelous cherry rub on one rack of ribs...

-----

and a whiskey flavor balsamic glaze with Tatonka Dust seasoning on the other rack.

-----

Fired up the grill, set it to 225º and had cherry pellets in the hopper and tube smoker.

-----

Seasoned some Potato Grillers with Money rub...

-----

and added the Potato Grillers to the grill.

-----

Seasoned some vegetable steamers with Desert Gold seasoning.

-----

-----

Ribs off the grill and ready to be sliced and served...

-----

-----

Getting ready to serve the ribs with a side of Plowboys Sweet 180 BBQ sauce.

-----

-----

-----

-----

The meal was delicious as were both flavors on ribs.

Thanks for looking!

flypig

Pot Stickers
Buffalo Burger

The daughter has gone vegan on us, so I had to make some vegan Pot Stickers. That doesn't mean I can't make 2 batches, one for her and even more for me! Crimini mushrooms, cabbage, shallots, carrot cabbage and green onion. Plus a cast of spices and such. No fish sauce was used on the vegan batch.

Assembling the vegan batch.

Wife just got home from church, so time to cook up a few for the two of us for a lunchtime snack. Into the steamer for 10 minutes then onto the Yoder.

Plated for lunch appetizers. Yield was 44 Pot Stickers for the whole batch, the ones I didn't cook were frozen on a cookie sheet and then packed up into a ziplock.

Now for the real deal Pot Stickers, Add pork and shrimp and more spices to cover the meat addition.

Dang, forgot to take a pic on the Yoder, but here's a plate of the meaty batch, with a sauce made with hot chili oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar and soy.

In total, I made more than 150 Pot Stickers, so it chewed up a large portion of the day.

Now it's time for one of my favorite things. Buffalo burger. I like these really simple. Some Double Secret and onto the smoker.

A nice end of a french loaf from the local bakery.

Some Swiss on the flip

Now onto the bun with baconnaise, lettuce, pickle, onion and some pepper. Dinner is served.

fishingbouchman

Wife wanted stead?? What??? She never says that. Lets see what I can do.

I want some bread with this dinner. started it last night and put in the oven an hour before dinner. Kids were getting hungry.
AA488806-17F0-4068-AF99-1DBAF137D1AE-693-000000599699F2F1_zpsc4a603fe.jpg

Me first.
855C13A7-49F8-46FA-B1A4-9073AEDB2424-693-00000059857CBE71_zps23f1fbe7.jpg

005635A3-E2F6-429B-BF31-F1D2BD8EA13E-693-00000059886CEDBF_zps21d59d1a.jpg

after mine got a little smoke, time to put hers on.
B17DD15B-C84B-4873-9B49-73A664C99E27-693-000000598BDE3562_zpsaeab008e.jpg

Then a little something something for the cauliflower already in the oven
28ADA5E6-A098-4DE5-928B-794DE2A02A2E-693-000000598F8DE1C6_zps1237eea7.jpg

This is hard work. I need a little reward. smoked.
89CEEA85-F767-45A9-A2EE-36FEF0BBE0E9-693-000000599356EB6C_zps69711fa3.jpg

and there you go
2F86255D-C58D-4C33-8FBE-62E8DB471E0E-693-000000599A399258_zpsf0810825.jpg

9FC53178-FC10-4E88-A02E-84E8B23E7AB4-693-00000059A18D2A67_zps5b96d7a8.jpg

Oh it was all so good. stuffed.
9C5D0BC2-56CC-41F1-BEC8-D8988E541FB3-693-00000059A4F93080_zpsa7a9b106.jpg

TrickyDick

Pork Chops

I am on call this weekend - short on time.

Struggling to get this in on time. Battling with my computer...

Anyway, On call work is tough. Can't always eat properly, so I go in with a full tank.

I think I can only get in 5 pics per post.

Continued
TD

TrickyDick

pork chops

Continued..

I had show earlier the marinade, stuffage, rubbage, and kiss of smoke.
Here we have the crumb-crust and pan-fry (I skipped the pan fry shot to keep splatter off my camera!)
Then they go back on the grill to cook through.

TD
couple more shots next.

Last edited:

TrickyDick

last 2 pics...
I had more showing the side and what-not, but you get the idea.
I missed a photo of the chops frying in the pan before I put them on the grill to finish.
Should've done them longer at the beginning to cook them through, THEN do a 'reverse-fry' for the crusty goodness.

Finished the sweet potatoes on the mak to caramelize and toast the marshmallows.
Corn Muffins on the MAK too. Bacon in the beans & greens from my first homemade bacon.
They didn't have any peaches available at the store so I topped the chop with a pear. It spent some time on the MAK too, but I had really wanted to do a grilled peach... maybe next time

TD

Last edited:

Stone

MAK Burgers 2

Burgers were good enough last week that the kids begged me to make them again.

I lightly blended 3lbs ground beef (20% fat) with 1/4C water and 2 tsp of Worcestershire. Shaped into 1/2lb patties and into the fridge for an hour or so.

In a foil pan, make a baste of:
1 stick unsalted butter
4 cloves garlic (grated)
2 tsp Worcestershire
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
~1/4 C finely chopped Italian parsley

Place the foil pan of baste on the back of the grill to melt and combine when you put the burgers on.

Make an herb brush by tying a bunch of thyme to the end of a wooden spoon using butcher's twine.

Place searing grates on one side and a cast iron griddle on the other, and preheat the grill to 450F.

Remove patties from the fridge. Give a thorough dusting of BPS Money and place onto oiled searing grate.View attachment 2101

Grill for 2-3 mins per side. Dust with additional Money after turning.View attachment 2102

Next, using the herb brush, brush the griddle lightly with the baste. Lightly dust the burgers with BPS Happy Ending seasoning and flip onto the griddle. Baste the burgers heavily using the herb brush and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, dusting with BPS Happy Ending and basting at the turn.View attachment 2103

Top burgers with cheese of your choice. Butter and toast the buns on the searing grates. View attachment 2104

Burgers are done when internal temp is 160 (or to your preference).

Pull the burgers and top with your favorite fixings. I used:
- crimini and white mushrooms sautéed in butter and BPS Little Louie's
- caramelized sweet and yellow onions
- peppered bacon
- pickles
- butter lettuce, tomato, and condiments.
View attachment 2105

Enjoy!

We finished our meal off with root beer floats. Yum!

Filets with Lobster Mac n Cheese

Had Lobster Mac n Cheese for the first time on vacation last summer. Thought it was an odd combination (waste of good lobster), but loved it, so finally tried to make it myself. Used the Neely's recipe from food network.

The ingredients for the mac n cheese:

Cheese sauce made:

On the MAK:

Filets seasoned with Double Secret and asparagus with Annies Garlic EVOO and Desert Gold ready to go on:

Everything on #500:

Steaks and veggies done (less wifes well done :mad:):

All plated up:

Turned out very good. Thanks for looking.

tenny80

My first low slow cook on a pellet grill! a 16lb beef brisket!

Dry rub was the traeger beef rub with with some pepper paprika and brown sugar.

misted every couple of hours with a mix of coke, captain morgans dark spiced rum, a tiny bit of maple syrup and a tiny bit of water.

I thought for sure I had messed it all up but in the end it turned out amazing! I didn't do a very good job taking pictures though so for next weeekends challenge I will get the camera out more!

I didn't get any plated pictures but the brisket went on some grilled cibatta buns with havarti cheese and a side of potato salad. I put some dill mustard on mine.

The kids had some hot dogs... didn't bother to take any pics haha. About 14 adults and the brisket was pretty much gone!!! so it passed the everyone ate way to much test haha. A few people didn't even have any of the ice cream cake haha.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Top Bottom