Contest..Lets get some cooking going!!!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Its summer so I hope that we get more than the last coupla weeks of entries....grab your favorite cookbook and adapt it for the smoker....heck just cook something!

First Place $25.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10.00 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

$5 for everybody else (store credit)

bring it on!!!!

Wing Commander

Chicken, Scampi, Quesadillas

Yesterday I was visited by some friends, so I cooked a little menu on my Louisiana CS-450 and my offset smoker.

As a starter I plated up some quesadillas with scallions, jalapenos and of course cheese.

DSC04886.JPG

DSC04888.JPG

DSC04890.JPG

Then we continued with scampi kabos and creamcheese peppers.

DSC04907.JPG

DSC04910.JPG

The main dish was chicken: thighs with my homemade banana rub, finally glazed with Blus Hog Memphis BBQ Sauce and bacon-wrapped lollipops, rubbed with Stubb's Chicken, served in apples, finally glazed with Sweet Baby Ray's Raspberry Chipotle. Side dishes were smoked potatoes and bell pepper-zucchini-pan.

DSC04883.JPG

DSC04889.JPG

DSC04892.JPG

DSC04908.JPG

DSC04914.JPG

sparky

Hazel & tri's

tri's for dinner. away we go.....

ribsandchicken025.jpg

threw some oak pellets on the fire to get some smokey, smokey. raised up the fire grate and seared these babies up.

ribsandchicken026.jpg

oh ya, were looking good.

ribsandchicken031.jpg

were done. 135° and looking good.

ribsandchicken034.jpg

i will say Hazel is a tri cooking machine.

ribsandchicken046.jpg

ribsandchicken042.jpg

cooked perfectly. juicy.

ribsandchicken049.jpg

ribsandchicken047.jpg

a fantastic tasting meal.

ribsandchicken053.jpg

got a kiss from the mrs for this one. nice job spark. ya done good.

sparky

Lucile & ribs

this ones for you bent.

bent says he likes cooking his ribs at 250°. bent a good cook so i'm trying his method today.

da players.

ribsandchicken077.jpg

ok, well i thought i would try BP method.

"The best way and time to add rub to your ribs is about i hour before you put them on the cooker. Doing it the night before does not dry them out but is really unnecessary.
Start bone side up and apply your rub and let them stand at room temp for 20-30 minutes. They will shine and sweat and the rub will become one. after the half hour flip over and repeat and let rest the 20-30 minutes....what you have done my friends is create a dry brine that is the best for ribs."

mixed some of my method in too.

"i rub the ribs. turned the grill on and have a FT. once grill is to temp and FT is empty i put ribs on. real easy."

ribsandchicken091.jpg

ribsandchicken096.jpg

the only problem w/ BP's method is that by the time the ribs go on i already had 3 FT's and what-not.

ribsandchicken112.jpg

you guys ready? time for Lucile to work her magic.

ribsandchicken105.jpg

found my bbq zen. using my new flame zone deflecter and my old blank pan. boo ya. thats the ticket.

ribsandchicken140.jpg

ribsandchicken102.jpg

perfect.

you looking good guys. nice tan ya'll got.

ribsandchicken146.jpg

a little berry pepper jelly.

ribsandchicken149.jpg

all done and looking good.

ribsandchicken153.jpg

a simply great rib cook. i'm liking the 250° temp for ribs.

Chili Head

Pulled beef - beef stroganoff

I started this off by smoking a chuck roast using BBQ Delight oak for a couple of hours then a temp of 250 for another 6 hours. I had the tube smoker going for an hour as well to give it a touch more smoke flavor. The chunk roast was dusted with tatonka dust and I added a bit of red wine once the smoking session was done. I didn't add a lot of wine just a splash.

46e1a918-3141-e59d.jpg

46e1a918-315c-593f.jpg

46e1a918-32b3-f0de.jpg

46e1a918-32e6-1610.jpg

The chuck is done and here's what it looked like when I pulled it.

46e1a918-3331-e718.jpg

46e1a918-3343-486a.jpg

46e1a918-3368-c440.jpg

46e1a918-3374-cbba.jpg

Continued..

Chili Head

The rest of the ingredients..

46e1a918-3442-33ce.jpg

I diced some onion and fresh garlic and sliced some mushrooms.

46e1a918-3471-f8bc.jpg

I sautéed the onions and garlic together with a pinch of salt and the mushrooms separate and set them aside.
46e1a918-3560-0da8.jpg

I made a roux out of 1/4 cup of margarine and 1/4 cup of flour. I then slowly added 1 1/3 cup of beef stock and a glug of red wine.
46e1a918-3633-a668.jpg

46e1a918-3643-19f2.jpg

46e1a918-3655-34f4.jpg

46e1a918-3660-32d8.jpg

I then added some Worcestershire sauce, spicy brown mustard, the sautéed onions and garlic and salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven I added the roux and the beef and simmered that in the MAK for an hour at 400 degrees.

46e1a918-37f0-ff2b.jpg

Continued..

Chili Head

I cooked the noodles in 1/2 and 1/2 water and beef stock.

46e1a918-39ce-767d.jpg

Once the beef was ready I toasted some buttered bread and added some sour cream and cream cheese to the pot of beef and then i added the mushrooms.

46e1a918-3a4b-7165.jpg

46e1a918-3abe-1708.jpg

Plated with a piece of bread on a bed of noodles. A nice glass of milk to go with it and there you have it.

46e1a918-3b1f-83a6.jpg

46e1a918-3b29-c3e2.jpg

46e1a918-3b3a-5034.jpg

Rich and creamy it was very good! A light hint of wine flavor came through which is what I was looking for. The beef was nice and tender and the flavor of the noodles I chose worked well with this. I was surprised and a little disappointed the noodles broke into small pieces the way they did. Maybe I was too rough with them when I stirred them..
All in all a good outcome to my first beef stroganoff. I'll be doing this again!

muebe

So here are some of the ingredients...

IMAG2221.jpg

And my assistant...

IMAG2223.jpg

Start with a baby bell pepper and hollow it out. Then stuff with shredded cheese and chopped onion...

IMAG2222.jpg

Then plug the end with blue cheese...

IMAG2225.jpg

Finely chopped pulled pork that has been coated with habanero powder...

IMAG2224.jpg

Give it a little egg wash for binding together...

IMAG2226.jpg

Now I hollowed out a large bell pepper and coated the inside with pulled pork...

IMAG2227.jpg

continued...

muebe

Now place the little guy in the middle...

IMAG2228.jpg

Add more onion and pulled pork to fill in the space. Now top with cheese...

IMAG2230.jpg

Made a yellow bell pepper the same way...

IMAG2231.jpg

Now for the ABTs. Started with some string cheese divided into small sections...

IMAG2232.jpg

Place a piece into the small cored bell pepper...

IMAG2233.jpg

Now pack the end with blue cheese...

IMAG2234.jpg

Then capped with pulled pork...

IMAG2235.jpg

continued...

muebe

Now each one wrapped in bacon...

IMAG2237.jpg

All prepped for the Memphis. The auger grid I removed from the hopper when I first bought the Memphis makes a great ABT holder...

IMAG2238.jpg

Memphis preheated to 350F and on they go...

IMAG2239.jpg

Wing Commander

Babybacks

Today I made some babybacks, each slab with a different rub: Blues Hog Dry Rub, Don Marco's Cherry Bomb and a homemade Texas-style rub. I cooked them at 250F on my Louisiana CS-450 with beechwood-pellets.

DSC04923.JPG

DSC04925.JPG

DSC04928.JPG

And I made some butter: one habanero-butter, one-silantro butter and one habanero-silantro-butter, which were ried as appetizers on baguette.

DSC04933.JPG

The silantro-butter was spread on some corn cobbs, wrapped in foil and cooked in the Louisiana as well.

DSC04926.JPG

After a bit more than 3 1/2 hours I glaced the ribs with Blues Hog BBQ Sauce.

DSC04930.JPG

After 4 hours I pulled the ribs and plated them up with a corn cobb.

DSC04935.JPG

DSC04938.JPG

I liked the Blues Hog Dry Rub best, followed by the Cherry Bomb Rub. I liked the homemade rub, either.

RickB

Golden Fried Shrimp with Baked Sweet Potato and Grilled Corn

Let’s get the corn ready.

IMG_0555.jpg

A little butter and some Cajun seasoning. Put back in the husks and into some foil.

Heat the oil on the stove top to 375 and put the sweet potato’s, corn and oil onto the Mak

IMG_0565.jpg

Lets get the shrimp ready. The players

IMG_0556.jpg

Got the flour,egg wash and breading ready. Butterfly the shrimp and we’re ready to go.

IMG_0557.jpg

Shrimp ready to fry… oh hell no. Always put you breaded seafood into the fridge uncovered for at least an hour to set the breading.

IMG_0562.jpg

Potato’s and corn are ready, fry the shrimp to golden brown. Add a little homemade tarter sauce and plate.

IMG_0568.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

FLBentRider

Winging it

10lbs of wings
DSC_2727.jpg

MAK 2 star #106 set to 400F with BD Oak pellets
DSC_2728.jpg

the turn - color getting there
DSC_2729.jpg

Done
DSC_2730.jpg

We made 3 sauces:

traditional hot wing sauce with garlic

raspberry chipotle - equal parts raspberry preservese and chipotles, taken for a spin in the food processor

pineapple chipotle with soy sauce - pineapple preserves, chipotles and a dash of soy sauce

Traditional
DSC_2733.jpg

my sons plate
DSC_2737.jpg

Raspberry chipotle
DSC_2735.jpg

pineapple chipotle
DSC_2736.jpg

Deb

Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers

I was looking through a Cooks country magazine this morning and saw this recipe. I had already been planning to do buffalo burgers so I decided to try them.

The onion is sliced really thin, salted and sits in a colander for 30 minutes. You put them in a clean dishtowel and squeeze them dry. Then divide the onion and push the patty onto the onion
photo-111-4.jpg

onto a hot griddle (this is after they were flipped)
photo-110-5.jpg

photo-109-6.jpg

and dinner - the burger on some homemade focaccia, alexia fries and squash blossoms that Kevin filled with goat cheese and fried up.
photo-108-1.jpg

squirtthecat

Tri-tip ad-lib

A buddy of mine and I went up to a big cookout (Smoke Out) in Iowa this weekend.

Surveying the food that was cooked/being cooked, we decided a tri-tip was in order. (I had carried 3 frozen CAB ones up for the host)

After we move some meatloaf pans and chuck roasts out of the way, onto the Traeger we go. Frozen solid as a log.

IMGP1564.JPG

Maybe 45 minutes later, lay on some Santa Maria Rub and jam a probe in.

IMGP1593.JPG

Getting closer...

IMGP1669.JPG

Pulled at 125-ish, wrapped and let rest for about 15 minutes.

My buddy Hal breaking it down...

IMGP1687.JPG

I didn't get back in time for the 'plated' shot, as it was hammered quickly. PDG!

Ffvillager

Wangs with orange sauce & beans on the boonie

WOW!!!! So many great posts this week--kinda intimidating. But have to start somewhere. So here is my first try. Please evaluate and send suggestions so I can get better.
1a873e65.jpg

Basted wangs with melted butter, then some garlic and onion powder followed by Oklahoma Joes Sweet and Spicy. Then into the fridge for 30 min.
84ab0fec.jpg

Made the orange sauce with mandarin orange marmalade, onion and garlic powder, mustard powder, molasses, hot sriracha, honey, and catsup cooked till all incorporated.
54cbdd7a.jpg

Homestyle beans, bacon, sriracha, cym, honey, bacon and brown sugar.
3f7679cf.jpg

On the Boonie at 275 until done.
64a734ec.jpg

Doesn't get any better than this! No pics of plated product--too hungry to wait.

Tatonka3A2

Rise "N Shine Breakfast Kabobs

Trying to come up with a little something different for breakfast and thought, why not kabobs!!

I used bacon, beddar cheddar sausages, chunked up ham, green peppers, mushrooms, and red onions - tried to think of what I would want in an omelet. I am a HORRIBLE omelet maker so I thought this would be perfect, and better than just scrambled eggs.

Ready for the Yoder

On the Yoder with some smoke

Just about ready

How about some cinnamon rolls... nothing easier than the canned refrigerated ones that will work in a pinch!! Into the waffle iron they go!

Served up with cinnamon rolls with syrup, breakfast kabobs, and scrambled eggs with cheese.

Kite

Okay, here we go. This was tough for me because summer has finally arrived in the Pacific Northwest so we were out sailing all weekend. So it was big time “catch up” this morning. Anyway, so here we go..

Third place is Tatonka3A2 with the kabobs. I’m not a real fan of kabobs, but those looked great and I really loved the cinnamon rolls. That was just a great idea.

Second place is Wing Commander with the Chicken, Scampi, and Quesadillas. Multicourse meals with friends hanging around the smoker is just a lot of fun. And the food look GREAT!

And the winner is… muebe with stuffed peppers! I loved the pepper hiding in the pepper, just one treat after another. It looked like a lot of fun for the whole family.

Thank you to everyone that cooked and to BP for providing the prizes and fun!!!

Top Bottom