December 9 Contest...Lets get some winter action!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Come on...light up the ole pellet pooper and dazzle me....the mumber of cooks are shrinking and you guys and gals are too much die hards to let this contest thing die...

bring it on.

$25.00 First Place Big Poppa Smokers Store credit
$15.00 Second Place Big Poppa SMokers Store credit
$10.00 Third Place Big Poppa Store Credit

$5 bucks store credit for anyone who enters.

Sparky extra bonus of a Music Man hat if you enter with something other than ribs! ahhahaha

sparky

lol, i love ya man. i only know how to make ribs. :( i will start cooking this weekend. i have to work this evening bartending for a xmas party. will see the 1 stars early saturday morning. got to break out my new griddle.

Last edited:

SmokinSooner

Better Half's Request: Chili!

This week's entry: Chili and Black Pepper-Spiced Gingerbread.

Chili grind and stew meat—hickory smoked for an hour:

i-GM3nfBv-M.jpg

Onion and red bell pepper added, smoked for 15 minutes to impart a slight smokiness:

i-LsPFnMJ-M.jpg

The rest of the players—save one secret!— ready to be assembled:

i-M4sv7Wv-M.jpg

To the pot is added the meat, onions and peppers:

i-nP2Pm5H-M.jpg

After all of the remaining ingredients have been added, in goes the secret—Bronko's Chocolate Dreams BBQ Sauce (it's a made in Oklahoma item; gotta support the locals):

i-HNL7vGx-M.jpg

The resulting plate and beverage:

i-vGp6Vkn-M.jpg

Last night's in-house baked gingerbread getting a quick MAK-n-Grill Grates sear (the square piece is for my mother-in-law who's not a fan of the black pepper version of gingerbread :( for her, IMHO):

i-hW2m8HC-M.jpg

Desert, plated up:

i-x8kJHvT-M.jpg

In all, the chili turned out a little "soupier" than usual, but was great nonetheless. Other than that, I'd say it was the best chili I've made so far, thanks to the MAK! The gingerbread was great, too—spicy with a bit of sear and slight but noticeable smokiness. I must admit that my wife's suggestion was a wonderful way to start off the colder season here in Oklahoma—and the leftovers will certainly be enjoyed, too.

FLBentRider

Wing time!

I put them on the MAK:
DSC_1584.jpg

After an hour on "smoke"
DSC_1585.jpg

Then I set the MAK to 400F, for about an hour

Finish!
We made several sauces, one with Starne's BBQ sauce and butter that was excellent!
DSC_1586.jpg

adding the cajun spice made for a messy plate, but oh so good!
DSC_1588.jpg

squirtthecat

Cold Smoked Boulders and Turkey Meatballs

Somebody say 'Winter'?

20111210075131.jpg

MAK doesn't care if it is 16°.

20111210084458.jpg

Thawing enough to get the gravy packets to split away..

20111210075201.jpg

On we go. Frozen solid. Set the PelletBoss at 255° and we'll check back in 5 hours.

20111210093355.jpg

Fired the Traeger up as well. Gonna do some turkey meatballs later.

20111210093458.jpg

Time for my industrial strength coffee mug.

20111210093646.jpg

--

Meatballs are in. Didn't fell like messing with the bacon today.

20111210105924.jpg

Sentries are posted. They aren't nearly as excited about today's assignment. :cool:

20111210105958.jpg

20111210110011.jpg

squirtthecat

Cold Smoked Boulders and Turkey Meatballs cont..

Getting some nice color now. Maybe another 45 minutes and they will be done.

20111210125120.jpg

--

Meatballs are looking good.

20111210131357.jpg

And into a crockpot of dumpster spaghetti sauce to get happy..

20111210133020.jpg

Boulders are done as well. Gonna rest in FTC for a while, then I'll strip the netting off and toss them in the fridge overnight.

20111210133326.jpg

One will be cubed and frozen for some Turkey Noodle soup later this week (or next), one will be sliced thin and vacuum sealed for sandwiches, and the 3rd will be dinner. ;)

CarterQ

Little Prime Rib

Was in the mood for a little comfort food so we went with a little prime rib and asparagus last night-

Started with this little guy-

27f232a4.jpg

Hit it with a nice dose of Double Secret

1ef8d800.jpg

Onto the MAK running on high for an hour then the Pellet Boss will drop it down to 250 till done @130

cb06885e.jpg

Looking good after about 3 hours

22765f7a.jpg

Pulled and rest about 20 minutes

7ceb31fb.jpg

Season up some Asparagus with EVOO and Desert Gold

9dc811bc.jpg

On the grill

6b93e1fc.jpg

Ready to go

35f95a2a.jpg

Slice up the meat

453f953e.jpg

Dinner is served

f1b7aa0a.jpg

One of my favorite meals, and it always comes out perfect on the MAK!

Last edited:

sparky

Breakfast at Sparky's

this cook is for the 1st place prize and a ernie ball hat. ya for me. i thought i would break out my b'day presents.

threw down some jimmy dean. #36 @ 325º.

PC100102.jpg

sausage is done. time for some hash browns. griddle time.

PC100115.jpg

put on my 2 favorite rubs on them.

PC100117.jpg

tators done.

PC100136.jpg

where not done yet.

PC100137.jpg

ya baby. made some bisquick pancakes.

PC100144.jpg

nice a brown. great griddle.

PC100148.jpg

made 2 patches of pancakes. breakfast is served. and once again, no kids. my wife got her plate and i got one. and a 2nd one too.

PC100155.jpg

the winner.

Last edited:

Susan

Pork Tenderloin

I mixed up a marinade with Hoisin sauce, ketchup, brown sugar and about 5 cloves of garlic. Then decided to open the spice cabinet and decided some red pepper flakes might be nice and OH, there was an open bottler of red wine on the counter and I added about a quarter of a cup of that, mixed everything again and poured the marinade into a zip lock bag with the tenderloin to soak up some flavor for a couple hours.

12-11-2011001.jpg

12-11-2011002.jpg

I put the tenderloin on the Weber with cherry pellets.
12-11-2011003.jpg

The meat came off the grill when the internal temp hit 160 and it rested while I put together the sides.

And here is the plated shot:
12-11-2011007.jpg

I served it with zucchini squash with sun dried tomatoes and butternut squashed mashed with butter, salt and pepper and a little brown sugar.

The meat was moist and tender and perfectly cooked. The flavors mingled nicely together and the addition of the red pepper flakes gave just enough zip to balance the sweetness of the brown sugar and ketchup.

Thanks for looking.

Scallywag

Gonna throw my hat in here.. Pork Roast with Porchinni balsamichttp://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j463/arenwhite73/BBQ%20Comp%201/?action=view&current=BBQ001.jpg glaze
Away we Go!!!
BBQ Comp 1 :: BBQ004.jpg picture by arenwhite73 - Photobucket
Some fingerlings tossed with garlic evoo red peppers parm and chives.
BBQ Comp 1 :: BBQ005.jpg picture by arenwhite73 - Photobucket
Nice Glaze!!
BBQ Comp 1 :: BBQ007.jpg picture by arenwhite73 - Photobucket
Sliced...
http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j463/arenwhite73/BBQ%20Comp%201/?action=view&current=BBQ009.jpg]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Rip

Chili and Cornbread

No doubt it's chili season, even though today was a pretty decent day with temps in the 30's during this cook.

Gathered up the fixings. (The Pacificos will drank by the cook, and not used as an ingredient)
Not pictured is the bag of frozen tomato's from this years garden.
IMG_2664sm.jpg

The ground beef was placed loosely on frog mats interspersed with onions. This was lightly seasoned with BPS Little Louie's and Soileaus. Then on to the MAK for 30 minutes of smoke.
IMG_2668sm.jpg

After 30 minutes the meat and onions were taken inside and chopped, then into the cast iron pot for some more browning...looked like this just before the rest of the ingredients were added.
IMG_2671sm.jpg

The chili was then simmered uncovered on the smoker for a while and then simmered covered on the stove for a few more hours. Now for some extras...

The little pies on the left are strawberry with a chocolate truffle (or two). The pies on the right are chili and the top two chili pies will be covered with cornbread mix instead of pie crust. The chili pie and cornbread chili pies are experiments and will be made in larger sizes if deemed worthy.
IMG_2675sm.jpg

About the cornbread...I'm the only one in the family who likes cornbread...I need to change that. My wife says cornbread is too dry. I told her I was going to try a cornbread recipe from one of our forum members...she urged me to try one from the Internet (you know, with ratings, so you know what people think). I told her it was Deb's recipe...she said, "Oh, ok." So Deb, no pressure here, right? Read more about Deb's recipe here: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/cornbread-2570/

So here's the cornbread and pies, (this is a 14" skillet, so I multiplied the ingredients by 1-1/2)
IMG_2679sm.jpg

Just about done.
IMG_2682sm.jpg

Brought the cornbread in to rest, (skipped the bacon and garnished with jalapeño slices).
IMG_2683sm.jpg

First up is chili in a bread bowl, this was very tasty!!
IMG_2690sm.jpg

Next up was cornbread, cornbread chili pie, and chili pie. First off lets just say I'm not the only one who likes cornbread anymore! The cornbread was awesome! Very moist without being gummy, and very tasty too! The cornbread chili pie and chili pies were also very good and merit further experimentation. Next time I will partially bake the shells before I add filling and topping (I already had the filling in before I remembered this, sigh).
IMG_2692sm.jpg

Here's a strawberry chocolate truffle pie. I have made these before so it was no surprise how good they were. Man am I full!
IMG_2695sm.jpg

Thanks for sharing the cornbread recipe Deb!

bflodan

Short Ribs and Spatchcock

Threw on a rack of Short Ribs and a Chicken onto the MAK.. Both rubbed with some of our favorites...

005-18.jpg

006-20.jpg

007-20.jpg

009-15.jpg

Short ribs went on smoke setting for an HR and then 275 for about 4 more hours... Chicken went on for the last hr of the short ribs and then upped the MAK to 350 and let short ribs rest for a bit...

011-10.jpg

015-11.jpg

016-8.jpg

After resting for about 40 min under foil, cut them up and mixed with some Pepper Plant and back on the MAK while the chicken finishes..

018-8.jpg

019-7.jpg

022-6.jpg

Cont....

bflodan

Cont....

Pulled the Chicken at 168 and removed the Short Ribs and a balsamic marinated artichoke that we added on..

024-4.jpg

026-5.jpg

Chicken just fell apart it was so tender and juicy!!!

All plated up..

027-9.jpg

028-9.jpg

Another great meal of the MAK... Everything was excellent...

Last edited:

TentHunter

2 Hour Ribs on the MAK

In a recent thread Cmack1 recently asked about doing quick ribs. Well, between music at church, The kid's Holiday School band concerts & the Community band our family is in, this was an extremely busy music filled weekend.

With barely any time to cook what better time to test a quick two-hour rib method on the MAK.

Here it goes:

The MAK was prepped by adding a pan of water and a packet of 100% apple wood pellets to the drip pan. The Idea was to add moisture to protect the ribs from the high heat and aid in smoke absorption and hopefully get at least a small smoke ring. The Packet of pellets would hopefully smoulder at the higher temps I wanted to use adding a little more smoke flavor.
2hrRibs1.JPG

The ribs & tips received only a light sprinkling of some Smokin' Guns "Sweet Heat" rub. 15 minutes on smoke mode then 1 hour 45 minutes at 350°
2hrRibs2.JPG

2hrRibs3.JPG

I mixed up some homemade BBQ sauce, some melted butter & honey.
2hrRibs5.JPG

With about 10 minutes left the ribs looked like this:
2hrRibs4.JPG

Quickly Sauced and lid closed for the last 10 minutes.
2hrRibs6.JPG

Time to slice & see how they turned out...
2hrRibs7.JPG

So far so good. A slight smoke ring and while not the most tender, definitely tender enough to eat.
2hrRibs8.JPG

I believe the water pan & pellet pack did their jobs; they had a decent smoke flavor and light smoke ring. For being short on time, all in all I'd say these ribs, while not the best, were still pretty dang good!
The family seemed to like them.
2HRRIBS9b.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Top Bottom