Dry Aging Beef

Zephyr

Day 1, Dry aging 8 lb. Rib roast.

P1000904.jpg

P1000905.jpg

ZEP

Last edited:

Zephyr

I'm kind of interested in that rack? Where did you get that?

The rack is a stainless rack from A_ _ _ _ _. The Silicone Oven Rack Edge Guards are from there too. They come two in a pack about 13 " long. I bought 4 packs.

ZEP

scooter

Did you weigh it after trimming Daniel? Would be interested to know the volume of moisture that is lost on a weekly basis. What does the salt do?

muebe

Did you weigh it after trimming Daniel? Would be interested to know the volume of moisture that is lost on a weekly basis. What does the salt do?

I experienced a 23% water weight loss after 28 days of dry aging a 13Lb rib-eye roast. Ended up with 54% of the starting weight after trimming the bark & fat in actual cut steaks. The finished steaks were all meat and very little fat unlike the steaks you buy in the store so that was a true weight.

Zep I Would also like to know your number results using this method.

Zephyr

The Rib Roast was 7-3/4 lbs. and the chuck was 3-34 lbs. The salt keeps mold from growing on the meat and also absorbs moisture and helps it cure. ........... ZEP

Zephyr

Hey Zep how are you controlling the humidity? Does the salt keep it regulated?

No, I haven't been controlling the humidity. The humidity is at 80 percent now. I know the salt absorbs moister and keeps things from growing on the meat. ................. ZEP

RickB

The Rib Roast was 7-3/4 lbs. and the chuck was 3-34 lbs. The salt keeps mold from growing on the meat and also absorbs moisture and helps it cure. ........... ZEP

Zep....with dry ageing you actually want a higher humidity to keep moisture loss as low as possible. That salt will drop humidity. Might want to rethink that one. Mold will not be a problem as long as temps are maintained.

Rick

Zephyr

Zep....with dry ageing you actually want a higher humidity to keep moisture loss as low as possible. That salt will drop humidity. Might want to rethink that one. Mold will not be a problem as long as temps are maintained.

Rick

I agree! I found this.

Relatative Humdidity

One of the greatest questions concerning dry aging parameters is what relative humidity should be used to store products. Relative humidity is important because, if it is too high, spoilage bacteria can grow and result in off-odors and possible off-flavors.
If relative humidity is too low, excess product shrinkage will occur.
There are a number of relative humidity parameters reported in scientific literature. Campbell et al. (2001) dry-aged beef in a cooler with 75% relative humidity. Parrish et al. (1991) used a range of 80 to 85% relative humidity in their study, and Warren and Kastner (1992) stored products in a cooler with a relative humidity of 78 ± 3%. Smith (2007) stored dry aged product in a cooler with 83 ± 11% relative humidity, and Ahnström et al. (2006) used a cooler with a relative humidity of 87 ± 2.6%. There are no published studies that have compared the effects of different relative humidity levels on dry-aged beef, and it appears the studies in this area have used a relative humidity of approximately 80% with a considerable range around that number.
Palatabilit

Zephyr

Added small fan and pulled shelves out, so there was a space behind them. Moister was forming on back wall. Humidity is still 80 plus. ................. ZEP

P1000910.jpg

RickB

Looking good so far Zep! I certainly see a difference with and without drybag. Yours does look far moister than the drybag way. Looking forward to see how it goes. How long has it been?

Last edited:

Zephyr

Looking good so far Zep! I certainly see a difference with and without drybag. Yours does look far moister than the drybag way. Looking forward to see how it goes. How long has it been?

It was one week this last Friday, will post again next Friday with pic results............ ZEP

Top Bottom