Endgrain Hickory Cutting Board

Kite

This is for Pappymn (and anyone else that is interested, but Pappymn asked for pics ). My cutting board project is done. It was actually a lot of fun!! It is solid hickory - 2 inches thick and 15" X 20". Hickory is really an ideal wood for a project like this - it is just about as dense and hard as granite. Anyway, here are some shots..

DSC03790_zps52edb177.jpg

DSC03788_zps672f2c85.jpg

DSC03787_zps14512687.jpg

DSC03786_zps830f43ba.jpg

DSC03785_zpsd9cc1da6.jpg

Kite

It was actually 4 seperate glue ups - I glued 3 seperate panels, then I cross cut them into 2" strips. Then the final glue up into the butcher block you see here. I used Titebond II and left each glue up in the clamps for 24 hours (or more in some cases when I was busy working or whatever).

Pappymn

THANK YOU SIR. Funny I was just looking at John Boos blocks on eBay yesterday and wondering what happened to yours. That baby would sell for a few hundred dollars at least, and your wood grain looks better.

I appreciate the post. Top notch!

Kite

what did you put on the board to coat/protect/seal it?

First I flooded it with mineral oil. I kept it flooded for several hours - the center really didn't soak up much because this stuff is so dense, but the outside edges did take a little in. Then I melted a small amount of paraffin in some mineral oil and coated it again. After an hour I wiped it dry. I have buffed it a couple of times since to clean up a bit of "sweat".

I used mineral oil because it is food grade and it doesn't spoil over time.

Chili Head

Nice work Kite!
I made several in wood shop during high school and mom used them for years. I need to see if she has them somewhere to bring them outa retirement.

HoDeDo

Yep Mineral oil is the way to go. We have a Boos Block, and that is exactly what they say is the best maintenance for the board.

Top Bottom