Finally pulled the trigger

YakHooker

Hi Everyone
My name is Greg, username YakHooker....you may be wondering: i like to fish out of a kayak, im sure you got the connection now

Well, i finally decided to spend the $, you know go big or stay home. I purchased one of the 2017-2018 Mak 2 star models, it is in the back of the truck now still in the box on a pallet.

Have to say, i am stoked, i iave been smoking on a webber bullet for 15 years and have had amazing success, love the thing. But, i was ready to take it to the next level in terms of diversity of what i could do, simplicity, and temperature control. I have been looking at this forum and considering options for about 2 years.

Wife and i have a small cabin on a lake in PA where we plan to retire. Community here is tight and we often meet up around dinner time with food and hang out over some beers. About 3 times each summer one of the neighbors who has a green egg calls me out and challenges me to a friendly smoke off, hech everyone benefits from this one as we bring our results for everyones consumption. I texted him a last week to let him know he was going down because i had a new toy.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the intro story, and thanks for your posts and information as i have been in the background learning from them

Greg (YakHooker)

dubob

From one newbie to another

Welcome Greg. I've only been here about 2 weeks or so but am learning a lot. I look forward to seeing your reports.

sschorr

Welcome from SoCal Greg! Got my MAK 2 Star last May after spending a couple years with a Camp Chef DLX pellet pooper. I call mine The Beast - the construction is top-notch, the support from MAK is awesome and the range and quality of cooks is outstanding. There is a "learning curve" as you get to understand what foods to cook at what temps using what rubs/preps and serving/saucing, just as any other grill.

Enjoy, and fire away with any questions!

mcschlotz

Welcome from the Hoosier State Greg! IMO you've got the best on the market, and have set yourself up for some wonderful times. Congrats on the new MAK 2 Star. Many of us here are more than willing to answer any questions you might have.

..matt

TentHunter

Welcome to the forum, Greg!

I have a passion for fishing too. I have a small rig: 14' Jon boat with a 9.9 HP Evinrude, rigged out with seats, carpeting, sonar, two trolling motors (for the electric only lakes), etc. Gets me into places a regular bass boat won't go :D.

Oh and you're going to love that MAK!

YakHooker

Thanks for all the replys!!! Got the Mak assembled and the initial burn done, cant believe how quick it hit temp. Heck, it is 35 degrees here with a steady wind and it hit 450 no problem. Picked up 3 racks of baby back ribs, skinned, and dry rubbed for tomorrow... mouth watering

Hey, how do i post pics, is there instructions?

Greg

rwalters

From one MAK owner to another... CONGRATS and welcome to pelletsmoking! Man, you are in for many years of good eatin’ with your new 2 Star :) I’ve had my fairshares of WSM’s over the years... and as great as they were/are, I doubt I’ll ever own one again. The MAK has me way to spoiled :)

YakHooker

1st smoke was amazing...
I had 3 racks baby back ribs, skinned night before, mustard and dry rub nivht before and then to rest in the frige for the night

Next morning on the smoker at the smoke setting for 2 hours, pulled them off to wrap in foil with a little juice while i heated up the Mak to 275.
Back they went on cor another hour and 45 min. Then for another 45 min out of the foil with a very light coating of bbq sauce.

The pellet smoker exceeded expectations by a long shot, the ability to change temperatures, generate smoke, and just control the entire operation is amazing.

Cant wait to get smoking something this weekend!

And i still need to figure out how to post pics, if i click on the My Photos", i get Popup #2 , missing config file error

YakHooker

From one MAK owner to another... CONGRATS and welcome to pelletsmoking! Man, you are in for many years of good eatin’ with your new 2 Star :) I’ve had my fairshares of WSM’s over the years... and as great as they were/are, I doubt I’ll ever own one again. The MAK has me way to spoiled :)

Yea, after one smoking on the Mak i can completely understand

rwalters

1st smoke was amazing...
I had 3 racks baby back ribs, skinned night before, mustard and dry rub nivht before and then to rest in the frige for the night

Next morning on the smoker at the smoke setting for 2 hours, pulled them off to wrap in foil with a little juice while i heated up the Mak to 275.
Back they went on cor another hour and 45 min. Then for another 45 min out of the foil with a very light coating of bbq sauce.

The pellet smoker exceeded expectations by a long shot, the ability to change temperatures, generate smoke, and just control the entire operation is amazing.

Cant wait to get smoking something this weekend!

And i still need to figure out how to post pics, if i click on the My Photos", i get Popup #2 , missing config file error

Love it!!! But c’mon brutha, get the pic issue figured out!!! :’(

YakHooker

Well, this weekend it is a simple Pot roast. Plan to tie it up, and dry rub (probably just salt, pepper, and garlic powder) overnight. Then the plan is:
2 hours on smoke
up the temp to 220, and cook until 165 internal
Then wrap in foil for an hour or two

We will see how it goes. I will take pics along the way
Greg

Top Bottom