First Butt on the Mak

Darwin00537

Folks, I promise this will eventually get old and I'll stop posting everything I cook. That said, I made pork butt yesterday! The goal for this cook was to see how the Mak does low and slow smoking, so I cooked the butt at 225 using BBQer's delight pellets.

Recipe I followed can be found here: Perfect Pulled Pork From Pork Butt Recipe
Rub used was Memphis Dust: Meathead's Memphis Dust
Sauces used were Scott's and Williamson Brothers: Scotts Barbeque Sauce - A spicy, tangy rich Southern bbq sauce. and Store | Williamson Bros

I removed excess fat, covered the butt in olive oil, then applied a thick layer of Memphis Dust all over. I threw the butt on around 1AM. I sat a throwaway aluminum pan on the Mak grate, an 18" circular grate on the pan, and then the butt on the grate. I added a couple of quarts of water to the pan to increase the moisture and amp up smoke adhesion. It cooked until 5:30AM then flamed out. I forgot to check the pellets level in the hopper! I woke up, added 20lbs and started her back up. She flamed out on startup so I had to remove everything and clean out the firepot. The flameout and pellet level problems cost me I'm guessing 90 minutes of extra cook time, but otherwise didn't seem to negatively impact the result. I pulled the meat off the grill after 19 hours of cook time and an internal temp of 201. The thermapen went into the meat like butter, make that liquid butter. I'll shut up now, pics!

This is the what the butt looked like when the Pellet Boss woke me up at 5:40 AM to let me know it needed more pellets. 140F internal temp

After 19 hours and at 201F internal

Now that's a clean bone:

Meat is pulling apart very easily:

Focus fail but it was the only pic I took of the final result before we dug in:

Meat and potatoes (Parm and truffle oil covered tater tots). I have been pretty lame with the sides this week. I've been snowed in for 3 days and the wife was out of town for work. She usually does the inside work. She got home about two hours before this meal hit the table. She described the meal as phenomenal. Given she's my harshest critic (seriously she will let me know if it ain't perfect) I'm happy with the result.

TentHunter

Yeah man, that sixth pic (the one with the end missing) makes me want to reach in with my bare hand, tear a chunk out of that pork butt and start eating. Pass me a paper towel or four!

Folks, I promise this will eventually get old and I'll stop posting everything I cook.

NO, Please DON'T stop!!! You will NEVER hear us complain about someone posting food pics! :cool:

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
keep on posting that what makes this place fun...loves the scotts I used to sell it but nobody would buy it...

MossyMO

Nice work on the pork butt, the pulled pork looks great!
Oh and thanks for sharing the cooks with us!

Darwin00537

keep on posting that what makes this place fun...loves the scotts I used to sell it but nobody would buy it...

It's definitely a niche sauce being vinegar based. I'm a huge fan of Eastern North Carolina BBQ though and Scott's is my favorite of that region.

Top Bottom