Foil?

smokerjoe

I see for both pork shoulder and brisket some people cook it for awhile then foil it and cook it longer whereas others don't foil. What are the pros and cons for each? I’m going to be cooking one of each for my wife’s b-day party and trying to figure out what’s the best way. I’ve done pulled pork before in the Bradley smoker and never used foil but this will be the first one in the MAK and first brisket too.

Thanks

squirtthecat

Personally, I don't use foil in my MAK.. Some do as it speeds up the cooking time.

Try it both ways and see what works better for you!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

FLBentRider

I don't foil butts or brisket, some do. IMHO better bark without.

I have not foiled ribs either. I did boat a beef chuck roast that came out great.

Rip

I use foil primarily to speed up cooking times and to allow introduction of "Foil Love" items that would otherwise just melt/run off the meat.

I don't foil until the meat has passed the smoke absorption temp, (140 external skin temp). If I had two (or more) pellet grills, I would be less concerned with time....always seems to be a line of sides waiting for grill space. I need that MAK Colonel...Bob?

sparky

Foiling can also help meat retain moisture.

100% correct. :). i am just a newbie but i have foiled butts, brisket and ribs before. i am liking the "let it ride" thought though. my last two pork butts weren't foiled until the end of cook time (squirt taugh me that). way easier and they came out great. the last brisket i cooked i didn't foil either but it came out way dry (made the chili on the fly when the brisket sucked (deb taught me that, cooking by the seat of your pants)). experiment partner. have fun. get bigger pants.

scooter

I foil brisket, butt and ribs for moisture and tenderness with speed being a side benifit. Sometimes I don't foil at all, just depends on what outcome I am looking for. Sure foiling will soften up the bark but the bark gets softened up anyway after it sits resting tented in foil. I combat the softening when using foil to cook it by putting a cooling rack into the pan for the meat to sit on so the meat is not cooking in the juices but just over the juice.

BBQ Joe

I have only done butts twice and I foiled at 160 with some apple juice and finished at 195. I got some great bark and the pork was super moist. I also injected with SOW marinade. I had a lot of compliments and no left overs!

firehouse_bbq

I foil most everything we cook at some point in the cooking process. For butts and brisket, we foil once they reach 165-170* IT, this helps keep it moist, and at this point, it will not take in any more smoke. We also foil our ribs for at least an hour in the cooking process (normally a 3-1-1 method for spares)

Foil can also help speed up the cook if you are behind.

Trty it both ways and see what works best for you!

SisInLaw

The heck with foil I need more grill/smoker space. Big Poppa, get me another smoker please. And make it BIG!

Pete

I foil pork shoulders after I pull it from the smoker, then I let it rest in the kitchen oven (off) for an hour or two, then pull!

I haven't foiled brisket. Ribs get wrapped in foil halfway thru the cook.

Top Bottom