Functions

Vision

It's my first weekend with the Mak 1 and I'm loving it.

While in smoke I pulled the cord out of the outlet. When plugged back in I believe the grill went into a power loss function with a countdown of 15min. What happened there?

Also if the grill is lit and is accidentally powered off is there a way to resume cooking by skipping ignition?

Vision

Another question: first time using a profile, 2hrs smoke and 275 with no end. When I hit the power button the shutdown cycle started but started counting down from 4min instead of 20min. What am I missing?

MAK DADDY

Glad you are enjoying the MAK :)

If the grill loses power (even a flicker) the following happens: Fan on high during countdown (to burn the remaining pellets in the pot), alarm sounds and then grill shuts off.

If you restart the grill while it is still hot there is a special ignition sequence that it performs for 6 minutes to insure the pellets are lit.

If the grill temp is below 160 the timer is 4min, above 160 it is 20min or until it reaches 160 then switches back to the 4min timer.

SmokinKat

Hi Vision, glad to hear you're enjoying the 1 Star!

The power failure function is set up as a safety feature. If you're not around when the power goes off, you might not know how long the power was out before the grill came back on, so your meat may be in the temperature "danger zone" for an unsafe amount of time. If the grill just came back on and started cooking normally again, you could risk getting very sick. So instead it alarms (in case you are home to hear it), then does a cool down to blow excess ash out of the firepot, and shuts itself off. It might be disappointing to have to throw the food away, but much better than accidentally eating unsafe food.

If you are home and at the grill, like you experienced, you can just press any button to quiet the alarm, then turn the grill off and turn it on again and resume cooking. It will still go through a short ignition phase, but the grill will recognize the grill is already hot, and has a "hot start" sequence it will go through just to ensure the fire is still maintained.

Vision

Thanks guys. Very, very good ribs came off of it and they were a pleasure to cook.

"If the grill temp is below 160 the timer is 4min, above 160 it is 20min or until it reaches 160 then switches back to the 4min timer."

I was cooking at 275f for hours. Leaving the lid open for a while must have caused the 4min shutdown. Maybe it's better to wait a moment after removing the meat before turning it off.

Top Bottom