GFCI Outlet

Phred

Yesterday afternoon was the first time I've cranked up the temp on my Mak 2 to 450 degrees to sear a steak. On the way up my GFCI outlet tripped. It is a 20 amp outlet. It is about 15 years old. I have cooked several long low & slow sessions and haven't had any trouble with the outlet tripping. Any suggestions? Do the outlets wear out?

Thanks,

Fred

Ozric

Strange. The only time I've ever tripped the GFI outlet my Traeger was plugged in to, was when the igniter (hot rod) failed. But that would trip on startup. I've never had a trip while in use. Did the trip occur in the first few minutes while the hot rod was still fired up, or later on? Sure am interested in how this turns out.

SoDakSmokerGolfer

Is there anything else on that circuit? I had the same issue and I thought it was the fault of the MAK... But it wasn't. Turns out all of the outlets on the outside of my house along with the ones in the garage were on the same circuit. I had a freezer and extra fridge plugged up in the garage... If I had just fired up the MAK and the compressors in the fridge and freezer kicked on at the same time then bam blown GFIC... This took a bit to figure out because the timing had to be just right... So when it did happen it looked like the grill was causing the issue.

I had a new outlet put in on a new circuit...

Phred

The MAK had already been running about 40 minutes at the "smoke" level before I increased the temp. It was about 385 degrees when the outlet tripped.

I was really curious so I called the folks at MAK and described what happened. His thought was there might be a short in the ignitor. It may have come on accidently and with the additional pull of electricity it tripped. He asked me to reset the outlet and if it happens again they will send me a new ignitor.

RickB

The MAK had already been running about 40 minutes at the "smoke" level before I increased the temp. It was about 385 degrees when the outlet tripped.

I was really curious so I called the folks at MAK and described what happened. His thought was there might be a short in the ignitor. It may have come on accidently and with the additional pull of electricity it tripped. He asked me to reset the outlet and if it happens again they will send me a new ignitor.

I had the same problem with a old gfi. I would change the breaker/outlet whichever you have.

Big Poppa

Administrator
actually a popping gfi is almost always an early warning sign that your ignitor rod is on its way out

MAK DADDY

The igniter will come on during a cook under certain parameters if needed to keep the pellets going. Part of the "behind the scenes programming" that MAK Grills have to make your life easy :)

SmokinSooner

I had the same thing happen to me on a fairly new GFCI and Bob pegged it as the igniter. Since the new igniter's been installed, problem has gone away.

Phred

It turns out the GFCI outlet tripped due to operator error, mine. The electrical cord was placed between the hopper and the firepit so at low temps it was ok. However when I cranked up the heat the insulation melted and you can figure out the rest.

Morale of the story, make sure the electrical cord is away from the fire pit.

Top Bottom