Grill Grates Sticking

Kite

I am having trouble with my grill grates. When I cook burgers on them they always stick really bad. At first I wasn't getting them hot enough, but I think I have fixed that problem. They seem to sear just fine and cook at about the speed I expect. But burgers always stick. I have tried spraying them with nonstick cooking oil and that doesn't help at all. I have used them several times so I think they should be seasoned by now. Can anyone give me a tip on what I am doing wrong?

Thank you!!

muebe

Kite you will need to leave them on a bit longer before flipping. Sounds like your trying to soon. The meat will release at a certain temp.

Also what is the fat content of your burgers? Are they really lean? The leaner the more chance of sticking.

Those grill grates get so hot that non-stick oil will just burn off. So you can also try spraying the outside of the burgers with canola oil right before placing on the grill.

Moomtaz

I agree on the lower fat contact burgers sticking more. You could try a thin coat of olive oil as an alternative to spray as well.

jimsbarbecue

One thing that is needed is oil. I use grape seed oil . Pour some on a plate saturate a paper towel and rub over the grates holding the towel with tongs. Right before you put the burgers on.no sooner or it looses it benefit. I like grape seed oil because of the high smoke point. As Muebe said wait till it is time. A burger should be flipped once.

Kite

Thanks! I will try to keep the flipper in my pocket for a little longer and see if that solves my problem..

Moomtaz

One thing that is needed is oil. I use grape seed oil . Pour some on a plate saturate a paper towel and rub over the grates holding the towel with tongs. Right before you put the burgers on.no sooner or it looses it benefit. I like grape seed oil because of the high smoke point. As Muebe said wait till it is time. A burger should be flipped once.

Dead on advice. All of it.

Side note: I've been hearing a lot about grape seed oil lately but I have no experience with it. Any advantages or disadvantages over other types of oil? (not to hijack the thread or nothin')

Big Poppa

Administrator
very high heat before burning same with peanut oil but make sure that your friends have no allergies to peanuts....really a bad allergy

jimsbarbecue

High heat smoke point . Light on flavor so it doesn't over power. I like it on The MAK griddle. It can get a little gummy. Make sure you get pure and not a mix.

Top Bottom