Hello from Sonoma County, California

HBGBBQ

Hi everyone. My name is Jonathan and I'm looking forward to improving my skills with your tips and advice. I just took delivery of my Mak 2 Star General which is replacing my Traeger Texas Grill. Cheers!

TentHunter

Welcome, and congrats on the new cooker. I'm sure you're going to love it!

What is your first cook going to be? Whatever it is try and snap a few photos to share with us.

HBGBBQ

Thanks guys! So last night I decided to try a couple whole chickens for my maiden voyage. In the past I followed the Traeger recipe that called for 450 degrees for 70-90 minutes. Last night I followed the Mak recipe, 325 degrees for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. According to my temp probes, they hit 170 degrees IT in about an hour and 15 minutes. I'm not sure how that happened. I did place the chickens on the upper grate, if that had some effect on timing. I didn't believe the probes so I left them in a bit longer and just eye balled them, which worked out. I put the probes horizontally in the breasts. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

scooter

It's 20F hotter on the upper rack. You didn't do anything wrong. Welcome to PS.com Jonathan!

There will be a BBQ competition in Rohnert Park July 11th. I'll be judging it. Hope you see you there.

Top Bottom