Iberico - Part II

Darwin00537

The missus and I treated ourselves to a Iberico pork shoulder last night. This is a very special form of pork that you treat as if it were steak. So I decided to reverse sear using all my fancy new toys. I started off trimming it and salting it about three hours before the cook was to begin. For the cook I smoked it on the Mak II for 15 minutes then raised the temp to 225 to speed things up. After 52 minutes total IT was up to 110F so I moved the meat to the warmer while the Hasty Bake finished coming to temp. I then brushed with oil and seared presentation side down for three minutes, flipped, added pepper, and continued searing until IT hit 128. I was aiming for low 130s IT during the rest.

The Missus did the hard work. She made sauteed green beans and buffalo mozzarella/tomato on the side with a sprinkling of basil. She also made a port reduction for the steak and a balsamic reduction for the mozzarella/tomato.

Trimmed and salted

After the warm up to 110F

The Sear!

Off at 128F, I confess I was actually trying to hit 127 so I overshot just a tad.

Balsamic reduction

Port reduction

If I had a do over I'd take it up to 115F during the warm up but nitpicks aside this was an awesome meal. Tasted like a ribeye collided with a slab of bacon and the missus made one heck of a port reduction (the balsamic was quite tasty as well).

Xylosmoke

I was going to get an Iberico de bellotta ham but wasn't sure whether a 14 pounder would make enough ham salad sandwiches to last the 6 months I wouldn't be eating anything else ....:)

That actually looks really good there, Darwin!

One more thing for the bucket list.

Darwin00537

Thanks XS. Yeah Iberico isn't cheap. I wouldn't eat it often. It's not worth the cost. But it's a nice change once or a couple of times a year.

Xylosmoke

I actually may try one of those shoulders sometime soon.

It's those $2,200 dollar hams that I will have to wait on.

You made that shoulder look mighty good!

Xylosmoke

And it does look like the Missus did all the heavy lifting on your meal with those great sides and sauces. If you start with a good quality cut of meat, and don't overcook it, it's hard to mess up. It's those sides that take some real skills. No wonder you feed her so well! :)

Darwin00537

And it does look like the Missus did all the heavy lifting on your meal with those great sides and sauces. If you start with a good quality cut of meat, and don't overcook it, it's hard to mess up. It's those sides that take some real skills. No wonder you feed her so well! :)

Let's keep this between you and me. For some reason she thinks I do all the hard work. Lol.

Top Bottom