I'm going to the big "D" and I don't mean Dallas..

Kite

.. and I don't mean divorce either (thank God and the love of my life). It's that aweful, filthy, dirty, scary word... diet! Actually, it's not all that bad. Jan and I both decided that my middle age (really, just middle age) ponch is getting a bit out of control so it is time to pay a little closer attention to what I eat (just as long as it doesn't get in the way of my BBQ). Seriously, I am just paying closer attention to what I eat and how much - really not too bad and I have already started losing. So.. on with the cook! I am really glad to be back!!! I pretty much took the summer off because we are not home much in the summer. We spend most of our time out on the water. I did do a Labor Day cook because I wanted to do my part to help get the number of cooks up, but I cooked on Friday night and we left early Saturday morning to catch the tide - no time to post, sorry.

Last night we cooked ribs (I know that was last week.. sorry again, I missed it and ribs is what I had thawed in the fridge, so that is what you're gettin'). I got a great baseline from sparky and have been tweaking - so far we really like the final product. Here are the starters. One note - due to ideas that I have gleaned from BBQ Pitmasters I have really upped my trimming and it is making a big difference. You don't see it here because the pic was shot pretrim - sorry.

DSC03153_zpsd9e5c321.jpg

Seasoned and on the Memphis to get things rolling

DSC03154_zps9f25e649.jpg

Then it was on to the baked beans... YUM! (definitely low calorie ;-). We definitely LOVE smoked beans

DSC03159_zpsfae034bb.jpg

Starting to take shape..

DSC03161_zpse85a29d5.jpg

Time to make up the sauce - no FL here - just my way of doing it

DSC03165_zps23bc9541.jpg

Flip and sauce

DSC03167_zpscc33fe87.jpg

Let's get some corn going while it is still available. Gotta have some butter, just a little though and the lemon zest for a little kick

DSC03166_zpsc2f35f1f.jpg

DSC03170_zpsfb1200e3.jpg

cont..

Last edited:

Kite

.. cont

Ribs are looking great!! Time to come off

DSC03175_zps828952d3.jpg

Oh my gosh, the BEANS!!!

DSC03176_zps4753083f.jpg

Give it all a bit of a rest and then break out the cutlery

DSC03181_zps51c115e2.jpg

DSC03187_zps42fb3725.jpg

Let's eat this stuff, I'm STARVING!!

DSC03185_zps2b4e6d40.jpg

I think I am going to live now.. this diet stuff has really got me hungry!

DSC03186_zps6d671e16.jpg

Time to get some desert rolling - how about some grilled pineapple - YUM!!!

DSC03172_zpsfea7910c.jpg

Peeled, cut into spears, and a thin coat of honey

DSC03190_zps407ea952.jpg

On the Memphis it goes - not too much now, just enough to caramelize

DSC03192_zps4af75358.jpg

Oh my word, now that is a desert!

DSC03193_zps0fb6c09c.jpg

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did :)

Moomtaz

Kite I just wanted to say that I lost 45 pounds on weight watchers (in about four months, by the way). I know it works if you stick to it. The best part is that you can eat most of the things you can smoke at home as long as you do it in moderation. Good luck...

Kite

Kite I just wanted to say that I lost 45 pounds on weight watchers (in about four months, by the way). I know it works if you stick to it. The best part is that you can eat most of the things you can smoke at home as long as you do it in moderation. Good luck...

Thanks Moomtaz.. the strategy I am using is eat less, eat often, don't eat high calorie food very often. It seems to be working - I feel good, I don't feel like I am starving, and I am losing weight slow and steady. I love to joke around about it though.. especially with my wife. But she knows me all to well and just fires it right back at me :)

Top Bottom