Is your GFI Popping Tripping? MAK Not igniting?

Tomsmccann

My GFI tripped a couple times last night, so I tried another GfI outlet with the same result. Luckily, it toughed it out and stayed stong at 175-185 for 8 hours once it was done igniting. Kind of a bummer since it's only been used about 8 times, but I saw Bob mention on another post that some of the earlier 1 stars had bad igniters. I called up MAK this morning and bought a new igniter that will be here in time for Christmas Eve dinner. Other than this tiny hiccup, I've really been enjoying my MAK.

TentHunter

Tom, when you get your new ignitor, you will be amazed at how easy it is to replace the old one.

In the mean time you can unplug the bad ignitor and light your grill manually, and easily, by throwing a handful of pellets into the fire pot and light them with a propane torch.

Tomsmccann

I read in the owners manual that it's pretty easy to install. One of my clients has a Yoder, but told me he helped one of his friends replace the igniter on their 2 star. Sounds pretty easy to do.

Tomsmccann

Installing the new igniter was a breeze. Plus MAK sent me the module to update my software, so I was able to take out two birds with one stone. Took about 15 minutes total, and I fired it up with no issues.

cheef16

2 bad igniters in 6 months?

Bought my 2 star in June 2015 and the original igniter made it until November (five months). It was quickly replaced with a new igniter rod from MAK. Now that replacement igniter is tripping the GFCI (multiple outlets tried and works on non-GFCI), so it looks like that igniter only survived about 5 months. I emailed MAK support a few days ago and I'm sure they'll get a new one out to me soon.

Has anyone else had two igniters fail, each with less than 6 months of use? I'm wondering if this is symptom of a different problem.

BBQJUDGE

I removed my igniter last week end, after a year of use, and it still was working and still looked good, i.e. not swelling. I removed it to replace it with the new FlashFire. Boy does it light up faster now.

onionhead

Has anyone else had two igniters fail, each with less than 6 months of use? I'm wondering if this is symptom of a different problem.
Quick answer = Yes! I had two go out within 6 months, but MAK stayed with me to replace them. Recently I had one swell at the end, and the GFCI tripped. I ordered the Flash Fire, installed it, and wow! What a difference. I used to start the grill, wait around for setpoint, but not now. I start it and am ready to put the meat on. It saves me about 6 1/2 minutes. Easy & good fix.

Tomsmccann

The igniter that I replaced back in December failed last month and MAK sent me a new one since I paid for the last one in December. I kinda doubt I'll upgrade to the new flash fire system. I'd rather put that money towards another smoker instead of spending $200 on a more efficient way to start my grill.

RatTail

Got my MAK 2 around Dec 1. It started kicking off the GFI's around March 1. MAK replaced the faulty igniter. The Flashfire would be nice, but I am reluctant to spend an additional $200 right now. I will wait and see how long the most recent igniter holds up.

jimbobmt

My 2014 Mak 1 star starting tripping the GFI last weekend. I vacuumed it out and it went a little longer before tripping, but tripped again after about a minute. I ended up dragging out my 15 year old FE-100 and smoking the ribs on it. It is a little disturbing that I spent $1600 on a grill and now the best advice i am seeing is to spend another $200 for the newest gizmo. I have only had to replace the hot rod on the FE once in 15 years and it has had a lot of use. I am not trying to sell FE's, I have been extremely happy with the Mak up until this point and have recommended it to friends.

MAK DADDY

Your grill is still under warranty and we will replace your igniter at no charge.
No one is advising you to spend 200.00 on the latest gizmo, we simply created a better design that we now install in every MAK we make. We always try to design our new products with the ability to go backwards if possible so we made a retrofit kit that you can purchase if you like (you don't have to). We cant give them away because it is not just a replacement igniter, its a new firepot, new igniter holder and a more expensive igniter but we did keep the cost as low as possible.
Your current igniter lasted you a couple years, some are still going on 6 years so nothing wrong with sticking it out with what you have.
You can also always manually light your grill if your igniter does fail, its pretty fast and easy while your waiting for a replacement.
Whatever you decide we are here to take care of you!
Bob

jimbobmt

Thanks Bob I will keep that in mind. I would have tried to manual light it, but it was smoking so heavily after the last time it tripped that I could not even try. If I had known it was going to smoke like that, I would have left the ribs on for a while longer. I am going to try it again this weekend and see what happens. I am pretty mechanically challenged, so I would just as soon not have to do much repair work on it.
Jim

MAK DADDY

No problem, happy to help!
The igniter change out is pretty straight forward, the Flashfire kit takes some drilling and such to switch over.
Be sure to clean out your firepot after every long cook or every 3 or so short cooks, that will cut down on the heavy smoke when starting and make your igniter last longer too.

Be sure to email or call us with your info for the replacement igniter to get sent out.

jimbobmt

Bob,
Got the replacement igniter and installed it yesterday. Everything seems to be working fine now. I was easy to install and your service dept. got it to me in just a couple of days. Thanks for your help!
Jim

Top Bottom