I've Got the Itch to Get a MAK...

rzrbrewer

...and I'm really glad I found this website. I'm torn b/w the 1 Star and 2 Star, but I've been able to find tons of info through the search function comparing the two models. I do like the idea of the Super Smoker Box and the fact that FlameZone is included on the 2 Star.

That said, I DO own a Primo Oval XL with GrillGrates, so I can grill and sear to my heart's content with my current setup. So the dilemma I have is do I sacrifice the Super Smoker Box add-on ability and go with the MAK 1 Star? Or do I sell my Primo Oval XL to help offset the added cost of purchasing the 2 Star? Unfortunately, the budget won't allow for both so it's either a 1 Star + my Primo or a 2 Star by itself. Has anyone gone down this road? Does anyone here own a 2 Star and a ceramic cooker? If so, are you still using your ceramic? Any sage advice for my conundrum? Thanks for having me and looking forward to the day I can join the MAK owner's club!

rzrbrewer

For clarity...

Option 1 is MAK 1 Star with minimal upgrades (no FlameZone) and keep my Primo Oval XL for all my hot and fast and grilling needs.

Option 2 is sell my Primo (assuming I can do so) and go with the MAK 2 Star which will give me the option of the Super Smoker Box at a later date when the budget allows. But now this unit must serve all my needs. And I REALLY enjoy a steak cooked over high heat!

Last edited:

mcschlotz

It really comes down to a personal preference. Either option works. Assuming by your question that you have the space for two units. For me, I have a very nice grill and use it a bunch but also have a 2 Star. Actually just sold my 2014 2-Star and ordered the new 2 Star from Big Poppa. I smoke a fair amount as well and the 2 Star with the future potential Super Smoke Box add-on is the way I've gone.

rzrbrewer

Thanks mcschlotz. I have the space, just don't have the budget to pull the trigger on the 2 Star without selling the Primo first.

rwalters

I found myself in a similar situation a little over a year ago. Had a decent sized backyard, and the following cookers:
Kamado Joe BIG Joe
Kamado Joe Jr.
M1 M Grill
Older MAK 1 Star

Last March, we moved into a new home with a much smaller area for my cooking arsenal. I had to make the agonizing decision of which cooker would be my new one and only.

After MUCH talk and MUCH reading, I ended up selling every cooker I had and going with a 2017 MAK 2 Star. I have not regretted that decision for one second... LOVE my MAK!

The only thing I'll add, is that like you, I do enjoy certain cuts of beef (mainly steak) seared over HIGH heat. Last June, I ended up adding a Weber 26.75" kettle to my cooking arsenal.

I have found the MAK/Weber kettle duo to be a fantastic combo :)

As an everyday grill, the MAK seriously kicks butt! But if you like your steaks grilled/seared over a screaming hot fire, the MAK cannot compete with a blazing hot bed of lump charcoal in a Weber kettle.

mcschlotz

If it were me, I would first get the 2 Star and see if it satisfies you for hot searing steaks. You can always pick up a Weber kettle if you want something more traditional for your steaks. JMTC :cool:

TentHunter

If you have an itch to get a MAK, my advice is to scratch it! :cool:

I think you'd be happy with either MAK, but it sounds to me like the Cold-smoke chamber interests you, so I say go with the 2 Star.

As far as searing goes, those of us with the 1 & 2 Stars with the new FlameZone are getting actual grate temps of 620° - 650° F without trouble in grill mode. SPtucker recently posted he read temps of 669° F.

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-central-14/new-flame-zone-question-8585/index3.html

If you haven't already read the FlameZone Review, I have pics posted with some results.
2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!

I am VERY happy with the searing results to the point that I have not used my Weber kettle for searing since I upgraded to the new MAK last year.

sptucker

Definitely get the MAK 2 now and the Super Smoker Box later. I could not be happier with my setup. My charcoal grill is only getting used when I cook more than one thing at a time and require different temps or something.

FYI, I did steaks last night. I think I got the method from BP, but what I have been doing is throwing the steaks on the top rack at 250 with a probe in one. When they hit 100F (I get a text message from makgrillsmobile!) I pull the probe and put them in the Super Smoker Box, wrapped in foil, and crank the temp up to GRILL. Once it hits 450F or so on the Pellet Boss, I transfer from the SSB to the bottom grate and do 1-2 minutes per side, moving them to a fresh part of the grate when turning. Perfect Med-MedRare every time, all the way through, and NICE grill marks. PLUS, the time spent at 250F imparts an unbeatable smoke flavor -- not too much, not too little. Goldilocks.

This method has garnered me the "best steak I ever had in my life" comment on multiple occasions, btw...

sschorr

Wow, just pulled the trigger on a MAK 2 Star! I had struggled between MAK & Memphis for some time. And it came down to the small things for me - pellet dump door, front shelf option, warming/low smoker box and robust Wifi (Memphis wifi's app is more limited in features and I'm a tech geek). Plus they are both top-of-the-line, made in USA, top-notch support and great communities to share/learn from. I couldn't be more stoked!!

MAK DADDY

Welcome to the MAK Family sschorr, I promise you will love your MAK!
A big thank you for buying American made, I can't say enough how much all of us at MAK Grills appreciate that.

Welcome to MAK family. You will love it for NONE of the reasons you mention. It has all of the features you mention, but that is not why you will love it. It just works! And it is reliable, and it has the best controller, and it has the best programmability. I have had mine since 2011 and can’t wait to get another (real boss say “no”). You will love it!

scooter

Sell the Primo and get the 2 Star!!! Easy decision! You can always add a kettle later or a BPS drum! I have 2 BPS drums and find them the perfect companion to my 2 Star.

sschorr

Super, super excited! Ordered last weekend and was advised maybe a 2-3 week wait for shipping. However, just got a call from the freight company and they are delivering Monday. Oh Boy! And found a FedEx package with the option front shelf sitting on the front porch. I'll be antsy all weekend....:cool:

Top Bottom