Just Ordered Mak 2 Star

Barrakulyan

Hello, just ordered a MAK 2 Star and had a few questions.

~ I ordered from big poppa smokers, I got the 2017 model bundle. It said the covers are back ordered so I was wondering what I could use in the mean time. Would like a tarp be okay?

~ I also got the Full top grill grate. Is there a weight capacity for that.

~ I plan to always empty the hopper & auger tube of pellets when done. Is there a way to run the auger without the grill trying to burn the pellets? I know I could just burn the pellets remaining in the augur but was wondering if i could run the augur and save the remaining pellets. Maybe run the augur backwards back into the hopper and out the quick change chute? or Clean the burn pot of ash with the grill cool and run the augur without the hot rot running?

~ Could the grill run from a UPS? Uninterruptible Power Supply? So if it lost power or there was a brown out the cooker would keep running? I understand that after the hot rot has ignited the pellets the grill doesn't draw much power. Just enough to run the fan, auger, controller.

I think that's it for now lol :D

MAK DADDY

Congrats on the new MAK and thank you for supporting American Made!
Any type of cover is fine as long as the grill is cold.

Yes you can turn on just the auger if you want (or better said turn off fan and igniter so only auger is running).
Look in the maintenance screen for the individual components (A=Auger / I=Igniter / F=Fan. Use the star button to change, A=Auto / 1=On / 0=Off.

scooter

Hey congratulations and welcome to the MAK family!!!

Agree with MD, any tarp will do for temporary cover.

When you say you're going to always remove the pellets from the hopper and auger when done do you mean between cooks or when you plan to store the grill for a long period of time?

Barrakulyan

Thank you everyone for the responses.

When you say you're going to always remove the pellets from the hopper and auger when done do you mean between cooks or when you plan to store the grill for a long period of time?

Anytime Im done cooking with it for a few days. I plan on only using it during the weekends mostly and with winter a comin' I didnt want to ever leave pellets in it if I didnt have to. It also will only be semi sheilded from the elements and hearing how the pellets turn to quickcrete when they get wet Id rather not chance it. Im sure Id be that guy to have it happen to lol.

Salmonsmoker

Hi Barrakulyan, congrats on your purchase! I got my 2-star in Sept. For what it's worth, I live in the Pacific NW where we get LOTS of rain, especially at this time of year. My smoker sits on the deck under the roof overhang, but not completely out of the weather. I do have the MAK grill cover. I've had a 3-week period where I did not cook on the grill because of heavy rain. I haven't had any problems so far with excess moisture in the pellets.

Barrakulyan

For what it's worth, I live in the Pacific NW where we get LOTS of rain, especially at this time of year. My smoker sits on the deck under the roof overhang, but not completely out of the weather. I do have the MAK grill cover. I've had a 3-week period where I did not cook on the grill because of heavy rain. I haven't had any problems so far with excess moisture in the pellets.

Roof overhang is exactly where its going. It seems to be good enough for the other grills I have / had. Just wanted to be a little extra cautious with this grill cause of the price, electronics, pellets. Its good to hear that though with the rain and the pellets. I'm sure I am just being overly protective but "better safe than sorry".

Thanks again for the responses.

scooter

As long as your MAK2 is covered and under an overhang you shouldn't need to clear the auger after every cook! If it makes you feel more comfortable then by all means clear the auger after every cook but realize the need to do it does not arise from the MAK2.
You're going to absolutely LOVE your MAK!!

Top Bottom