Mac & Cheese / Broccoli Mac & Cheese

TentHunter

OK guys. Here's the Mac & Cheese recipe. I had to type the directions up a little better

I do a few large group cookouts every year. Mac & cheese is always a crowd pleaser, but there are two types of mac & cheese lovers. Some (like me) prefer a traditional baked mac & cheese with a thicker texture and crusty top. Others prefer a creamier, saucy stove top style.

Well, last year I decided to come up with a recipe that combines the best of both worlds. This recipe is the result.

Mac & Cheese / Broccoli Mac & Cheese
BrocMac%2526Cheese.JPG

Large batch -about 12 servings
This can easily be doubled, etc. for larger gatherings.

1 lb. Elbow Macaroni
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil (I prefer light olive oil - trust me you do not need to use butter for this.)
1/4 cup Flour
3 - 3 1/4 cups Milk (depending on how creamy you want it, and how long you plan to bake it.)
8 ounces (1/2 lb) Velveeta style Cheese (or 10 - 11 slices of American Cheese)
12 oz. pack shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 TBS Yellow Mustard (condiment type)
1 tsp Salt
1/2 - 1 tsp coarse Black Pepper

Topping:
1 1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 cup of bread crumbs (optional)

Optional for Broccoli Mac & Cheese:
1- 2 bunches of broccoli cut into bite-size pieces.

Directions:
Boil macaroni according to directions. Drain well, but do NOT rinse! Transfer the hot macaroni to a baking dish, mix the shredded cheddar cheese into the macaroni, and set aside. This keeps the macaroni from sticking together.

For the cheese sauce: In a large sauce pan, whisk the flour and oil together and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute just until bubbling. Increase heat and add milk a little at a time stirring constantly. Wisk in the Salt, Pepper and mustard. Once the mixture is hot and slightly thickened, add the American/Velveeta Cheese and stir until melted and the mixture is hot and smooth.

Mix the hot cheese sauce into the macaroni, top with the paprika (and bread crumbs if using) and bake in a hot oven (350° - 400°) until Heated through, bubbling a slightly thickened (about 15 - 30 minutes).

If adding Broccoli: Steam or microwave the broccoli until just tender, and fold into the Mac and Cheese just before baking.

If you try this recipe, PLEASE let me know how you like it!

Thanks,

Cliff

Last edited:

RatTail

I have returned from the store with all the ingredients for the Mac & Cheese. I will be whipping some up on Monday to go with another brisket attempt. My MAC arrived around the first of Dec and I have been using it quite a bit. For some reason, my stuff never turns out looking like what you all can do. Although almost everything we have cooked has been quite edible, nothing has turned out super-duper like I had hoped. That tells me there is something more to achieving results than having good equipment. I'll keep working on it.

Top Bottom