MAK 1 Star Brisket Trial...

JD McGee

Not too shabby for the first try...2 hours smoke...then ramped up to 250 until an internal of 160ish...foiled and pulled @ 200ish...coolered and rested for an hour before slicing.

Conclusion...
1. Not enough smoke...
2. Bark not set...
3. A bit under cooked...
4. Flavor spot on...

Next time...
1. 3 hours smoke...
2. 225 until bark sets...
3. Pull and cooler when it's done...

600511_457550957589794_190240206_n.jpg

599789_457551380923085_1398784922_n.jpg

581211_457550517589838_1779415130_n.jpg

PaulyT

Yum! I hope to work up towards brisket someday... seems like that's an especially challenging meat to get just right.

Chili Head

Looks good!
I like a dark colored thicker bark myself. What if you foiled when the bark was right instead of by time? But that raises the question..would you have to cook it more after foiling to reset the bark? Thinking out loud here..I've never foiled a brisket.

JD McGee

Looks good!
I like a dark colored thicker bark myself. What if you foiled when the bark was right instead of by time? But that raises the question..would you have to cook it more after foiling to reset the bark? Thinking out loud here..I've never foiled a brisket.

I usually cook by color and feel as opposed to time and temp. I was playing around with the pellet boss and meat probes to see how the texture would come out...I'm going back to color and feel! Lol!
JD

TentHunter

Not too shabby for the first try...2

I'd say you did a pretty dang good job, even if it's not dialed in yet.

As far as not enough smoke: In addidtion to your longer smoke period, and cooking at 225° (instead of 250°) I really like adding a pan or couple cans of hot water to the pit, especially when the air is dry. The moist environment really seems to help water soluble smoke particulates penetrate the meat better. Try it for yourself and see if you can't tell a difference.

Matt Dalton

Looks like the bark could have been set a little better..still looks pretty good though..I'll tell ya when I first started cooking brisket on the MAK I was worried about the same things..but the proof is in the pudding it has now gone 2nd,12th(I undercooked it)1st,4th,3rd and 5th the last few comps..like I was saying it will come to you just keep plugging away at it and when it does you'll begin to love your new "xerox" machine.

Top Bottom