Mak 2 Star Temperature Difference

KevinW

Hey folks, When I set my Mak 2 Star to cook at 225, my Maverick thermometer reads 270. I expected some difference due to where the thermometers are, but not this big a difference. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just adjust my Setpoint to account for this difference? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RickB

If you have a few cooks under your belt be sure you clean your thermocouple on the mak. Also check your maverick in some ice water to be sure it is correct. Be sure your are taking temps on your maverick in the back left corner.

KevinW

The probe is clean...it's just the second smoke on the grill. I have the Maverick probe near the center and it's showing a temperature 65 degrees hotter than the Mak. Not sure what to think about this.

There's a 20 degree difference in the meat temperature, also. I'm going to check it soon with an instant read to see whether the Maverick or Pellet Boss is more accurate.

I had checked the Maverick in boiling water and it was spot on given my elevation. Maybe it'd be different in ice water? I'll try that out.

MAK DADDY

that is normal, the MAK measures the overall temp of the air and smoke in the pit at the location of the TC. at grate level you will get heat rising off the pans causing a higher temp, once the grill seasons in and your pans get coated that will change. if you want to cook at 225 set the MAK for that and have fun, you will get used to how it cooks at different temps, levels and areas as you go.

KevinW

This is encouraging news! Thanks. I am covering my pans with aluminum foil to make clean up easier. Would it be best to let them season without the foil? The way I have it set up is that I've removed the Flamezone covers and then lined the Flamezone pan with four sheets of aluminum foil in attempt to cook at 225 with easier clean up? Am I making my own problem here? Would I get the calibrated temperatures I'm looking for if I were using a Blank Grease Pan in place of the Flamezone?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I appreciate the help.

MAK DADDY

If you are going to foil (which is ok) just use on pc, it will effect the temps slightly but makes clean up easier.
If you don't foil just make sure you clean your pans often, because they are stainless you can scrub them with anything (I use a welding brush). You should always have the flame zone covered unless grilling, temps with the flame zone open will be much higher at grate level which is the whole point for grilling :)
The blank pan we sell is for those who mostly use indirect (flame zone covered) heat for smoking, baking etc. because it doesn't have any holes it's easier to clean. If you grill a lot like I do then the stock FZ pans work great and can just be covered up when you want indirect heat.

KevinW

I use the Mak solely for indirect cooking (I have a built in propane grill), so will look into buying the blank grease pan. Thanks again for your help.

MAK DADDY

No Problem glad to help. Before putting away your flame zone pan try some simple steaks at 450 with just your favorite rub (approx. 8min/side), you might just give up the gasser all together :)

Top Bottom