Mak 3 general, Mak 2 or Memphis Elite? What's the absolute best?

gadgetfreaky

My first post!

I've been using a Big Green Egg for the last 6yrs obsessing on brisket, bbq in general.

I'm doing a remodel, and finally going all out on the absolute best smoker I can get. I loved the BGE, as I could smoke as well as grill & sear steaks but prepping it and limited cooking space, I'm ready to upgrade as my wife could never use it.

Looks like the best money can buy is the Memphis Elite or Mak 3 star general or 2 star general? Lots of comparisons to the Mak 2 but very little about the Mak 3. When did it come out? The Mak 2 does have the cold smoke add on which is cool, not sure I"d use it but does the Mak 3 have that?

Love the idea of something simple, press a button, even my wife can use. The memphis looks like that? Something she can easily cook chicken, fish, burgers on. The Mak looks like it's a better smoker vs. the Memphis?

I have limited space on my side patio, so would like it on a rolling cart as it would be parked against a wall, but when used I'd pull it away from that wall (how far away should it be?) I wanted to install a venthood above it as there is a sliding glass door to the kitchen about 4 feet away and it would be nice to be able to have that open.

The memphis Elite I'd probably get the built in and get a custom rolling island to fit the wall. or the cart which barely fits *it's 69" and I have about 68" to the wall, so it's a few inches too wide.

The Mak 2 no custom built in possible, the cart is on is cool as it's got a spot to put all the accessories in.

The mak 3 is much more at $6750, but I think I like the idea of smoking 2 things at different temps on each side of the smoker. Brisket on one side, ribs on the other or cook burgers etc.
The cart is a bit pricey at $2,250 essentially so I might have something built instead.

I think day to day to be able to cook some skirt steaks, chicken breasts, fish etc, and weekends smoke is what I'm looking for. Ease of use, ease of cleaning is key.

any reviews for mak 3?

Thanks!

TentHunter

It used to be if you wanted to mainly grill at higher temps, the Memphis, with its insulated lid, was known for doing a better job at searing, and if you wanted to do mainly low & slow, you'd go with the MAK as it was better at smoking. BUT...

With the newer style FlameZone on the MAK 2 Star, that's no longer true. MAK's new FlameZone absolutely rocks for both searing as well as actual smoking.

gadgetfreaky

Thanks. Memphis Elite with cart is $5K
Mak 3 is almost 2x as much with cart is $9,500

surprised there aren't any Mak 3 reviews out there. videos, posts etc. have you seen any? anyone have one?

jimsbarbecue

The MAK 2 star is a great unit if the size fits you needs. We once cooked 8 racks of ribs on the bottom shelf with rib racks. Could have done 16 using the top shelf. Two briskets can be done atone time.

TentHunter

The MAK 2 star is a great unit if the size fits you needs. We once cooked 8 racks of ribs on the bottom shelf with rib racks. Could have done 16 using the top shelf. Two briskets can be done atone time.

We've done four whole shoulders (i.e. 8 butts/picnics), and 80 pieces of chicken at a time. In fact twice in the last two weeks I've cooked 80 pieces of chicken for two different events.

The MAK 1 & 2 Star cooking chambers have a deceptively small footprint, but can hold a lot more food than you'd think!

In a few weeks I'll be doing the annual Marching Band Band Camp BBQ - pulled pork for about 170 kids, staff & volunteers this year!

Top Bottom