• If you are a registered member of the PelletSmoking.com Forums and you are having trouble logging in, first try asking for a password reset on the login form. That should send a verification email to your registered email account. If you don't see it within 5-15 minutes, check your spam/junk folder. If you still can't log in, please use our Contact Form to send details and obtain assistance from staff. Once you are logged in, make sure that the "Stay logged in" box is checked so your session doesn't time out until you manually log out.

MAK Hot-Smoked Kielbasa

TentHunter

Chalk up one more point for the MAK 1 Star!!!

Normally I cold-smoke Kielbasa style sausage on the offset then slowly raise the pit temp, but let's see how a hot-smoke on the MAK 1 Star works.

Grind up 10 lbs of fresh pork.
KB412-01.JPG

Spices measured.
KB412-02.JPG

Stuffing into natural casings.
KB412-03.JPG

Onto the MAK in Smoke Mode (170°) with a Black Walnut/Apple combo for more smoke flavor.
KB412-04.JPG

All but two pounds was moved to the top rack to act as a buffer so it would heat up more slowly. The two pounds on the bottom was for immediate eating.

Pit temp raised to 225° when the sausage reached 100° & it was flipped/rotated at about 140°.
KB412-05.JPG

Pulled at an I.T. 150 - 154° & dunked in cold water.
KB412-06.JPG

Cooled overnight in the fridge.
KB412-07.JPG

Considering this was strictly a hot-smoke, all in all I'd say I'm pretty happy with the results. I was most concerned about it fatting out, but it was fine. In fact the marbling is better than I'd hoped. The mahogany color might not be quite the deep shade I get from cold-smoking, but it still looks good, and it sure tastes good!
KB412-08.JPG

The MAK 1 Star is a great hot-smoker!

Last edited:

TentHunter

one day...one day I will be there.
Me too! After I'm done doing this contracting stuff I wanna get into making sausages and curing meats. Been doing alot of research on it all.

Getting into sausage making & curing has definitely been rewarding to say the least. The investment in the equipment has more than paid for itself. I love taking raw ingredients and turning them into a product that the whole family (and friends) enjoy.

TrickyDick

How long is the sausage in the 40-140 degree danger zone while on the 170 degree smoker? The Kutas book has raised my awareness and paranoia to a new level.

TD

Top Bottom