MAk stuck on igniting

B-Dawg

Had the Mak for a month now and no issues, however this morning it is stuck on igniting 80 degrees and nothing else happens...been over an hour. I cleaned out all ash and dumped pellets from the fire pot after an initial flame out. Any other ideas?

jimsbarbecue

Stuck lighting

Clean out the fire pot. If you have a infrared thermometer check the igniter when lighting to see that is getting hot. If you don't have a infrared put a tissue under the igniter and turn on and see if it lights the tissue on fire. "IF" it does not the igniter may have stopped working. You can still use the MAK , will need to light it manually. To do this you need to unplug the igniter. With the unit unplugged either remove the side panel and unplug the igniter (they are labeled) put the side panel back on.
To manually light the MAK put a handful of pellets in the pot and light with a propane torch. Once you see they are lite turn the MAK on. When you can see the pellets are burning ready to go assemble the MAK using gloves designed for heat. It will show it is in the igniting sequence until the pit reaches a certain temp.

Hopefully it was just a hiccup . The newer MAK grills like your have a different igniter that are a long a steady heat versus the old style that just got hot fast. Which leads to a slower ignite which the new ones are better. If the igniter showed it was getting hot it could be the pellets are having a issue starting. Try some from a fresh bag just in the fire pot. I know I am a little all over on this , hopefully it gives you something to try and get the MAK going. If you need to talk on the phone call (SOB)Beef-BBQ. We own two MAK grills.

B-Dawg

Thanks much! I got it manually lit for now. Will test the igniter as you suggested. thanks very much for the detailed response as it was very frustrating.

TentHunter

Yep, check the ignitor, and whatever you do, don't ever let an ignitor issue stop you from cooking, or get you frustrated. It's too easy to get it going manually.

Also, if the ignitor rod is the issue, they are very easy to change out on a MAK 1 Star. Call MAK and they will have you back up and running in no time.

P.S. I sent you a P.M.

Last edited:
Top Bottom