Meat question

TrickyDick

So I found a source for buying wholesale meat and the options are practically limitless and somewhat overwhelming.

A lot of cuts are described on the wholesaler website with abbreviations. I'm looking at buying a rib primal and they have a multitude of options. I know there are a few meat marketeers / butchers here so thought I would ask.

What is the difference between a export rib and a lip on ribeye (not a steak but the primal)?
What might terms such as up or down refer to with a number (15 UP for instance)? I'm thinking the entire rib section from that rib number toward the head or feet for up or down. The real meat of the matter is, which is a better cut for carving into steaks and why?
What might the term needled up or needled down refer to?
Last question is what is the typical weight on such a cut and how much of that weight is bone?
I'm thinking it would be a better value to buy the whole primal and carve my own steaks reserving scraps for stock and or ground beef. Pretty easy to do this for a tenderloin, but not sure about the rib section. I have a bone saw.
TD.

TexAg

Here are some general answers to your questions. hope they help.

Export rib is a bone-in rib; lip-on is boneless
15 up would refer to the weight as a whole, it is 15<
Depends if you want a bone in ribeye or boneless ribeye.
How much of an export rib is bone? Not exactly sure, would guess about 2 lbs at the most

Hope this help.

Top Bottom