Misc. Prepurchase Questions - Wall of Text Edition

I can't speak for Scooter, but this is what my MAK 2 Star looks like after several years. Can't necessarily tie it to grilling on the flame zone, but I imagine that is what is causing what I see. I tend to use the weber when grilling now, but did use the flame zone quite frequently in the past.

YhiYkyd.jpg

I love my MAK and it is great for all types of cooking. Wish the cooking chamber was all SS when I bought it like it is now!

rwalters

I am almost certain you can buy the 304 SS bottom cooking chamber ala-carte from MAK. You’d be set for the next 100 years ;)

scooter

Don't want to speak for Scooter, but from what he has mentioned to me previously, it's the beating, or the "browning" that can happen to stainless when it is exposed to high heat. For some, that change in appearance is bothersome. I don't like it either, as I want my almost $3k investment to look nice on my patio. With that said, I am convinced that the new Funnel Flame Zone does a very good job of keeping the HOT intense flame from directly hitting the exterior cooking chamber walls. I have a 2017 2 Star that I have been cooking on since last March. I have done a TON of high temp grilling, and the stainless is just as clean and shiny as the day I brought it home. I admit, I am quick to clean up grease that drips onto the exterior during a messy cook... and I clean the smoke stains off the rear of the cooker maybe twice/mo. But from my experience, I have seen absolutely no adverse affect to the appearance due to high temp cooking.

Thank you rwalters! That's what I was talking about. I like my SS to stay looking great and since I have a Weber kettle and a pair of drums there's really no reason for to risk it and go high temp in my MAK. The newer MAKs probably have been designed to eliminate SS stains and powder coat issues. The new powder coat is so durable now but my old habits are hard to break.

GoodRevrnd

This is on brief hold while I recover from another impulse purchase. ;) Just wanted to comment I tried some ribs and burnt ends of my BIL's Traeger this weekend. Cook quality was excellent, but I was surprised the smoke flavor was pretty much nonexistent. Pretty sure he was using Traeger pellets and there was no supplemental smoke tube, so I understand this is pretty much the lightest smoke profile you'll get on a pellet, but was still surprised. I also noticed he had to overcompensate the temp dial quite a bit to get the actual temps he wanted. Soooooo... spend the money and cry once haha.

TentHunter

...but I was surprised the smoke flavor was pretty much nonexistent.

That is normally not an issue on a MAK, especially if you use some good pellets. It also greatly depends on a few things such as temperature. The lower your temp, the better the smoke will be. The higher the temperature the less smoke.

Unless I'm grilling, I never preheat the grill. I take advantage of the lower pit temp to extend the period where smoke can be absorbed.

GoodRevrnd

All squared away, easy as pie. I noticed on the retail site you have nonstick grill mats for indirect cooking. Any thought on carrying some fitted stainless mesh for direct grilling? Would be nice for doing vegetables directly over the flame zone.

Got my 2* set up, looks great, burn in cycle complete, held temp perfectly. I was surprised how much smoke it was putting out even at 450* (used CookinPellets Perfect). I won't get to take her for a spin until next weekend. Probably do a tritip smoke/grill to start since I won't have time for a proper smoke yet.

Is there a high heat / high efficiency, lower flavor wood I can use for grilling? There are times when grilling I might want to minimize smoke flavor, which I guess means just use oak or alder and I assume those woods would be cheaper--and at really high temp why waste money on the actual flavor woods?

EDIT: Found this wood BTU chart for anyone curious. Firewood BTU Charts - BTU of Firewood Cor
So presumably the controller is going to give you the same temp regardless--although there might be a minor difference in max temp achieved--and higher BTU pellets may lower consumption. Looks like Hickory > Apple > Red Oak = Maple. Probably use Maple as my neutral high temp wood, prices being equal.

Last edited:

TentHunter

I never take the pellets out of our hopper. Our MAK is in a shed out of the weather, and we use it often enough, and change pellet flavors often, so it's never been an issue.

Salmonsmoker

Also, is it okay to leave pellets in the hopper (I guess as long as the grill is covered)?

I live in the PNW, and in the winter when it isn't raining, it's thinking about raining. My 2* has the MAK cover on it and is tucked underneath the roof overhang on the deck. The pellets stay in the hopper between cooks. Moist pellets have not been an issue.

BTW, I've noticed on BPS website that BBQ Delight doesn't have Maple pellets anymore. Curious.......

Top Bottom