Misting/Spritzing automatic solution...

Saxguy

A friend of mine came up with a pretty nifty solution to misting without opening his smoker. It's not even remotely made for cooking, so I think I can post the link without breaking the rules. If I'm in violation, please take the link down.

Exo Terra : Monsoon RS400 / High-pressure Misting System

It has a timer in it to automatically mist at intervals. I may try it, but the only thing I'm concerned about is the material for the tubing. I guess I could try to change it to something metal. I figure it could thread into the side of the MAK where the probes go.

jimsbarbecue

The only thing to keep in mind. Years ago when Grandma would bake cakes. During the cook cycle she would open the oven and rotate the cake so it would cook evenly. Fast forward to convection oven that didn't require Grandma to open the oven to rotate the cake for even cooking and the cakes didn't come out right. Why you ask? The change of temp when the oven was open to rotate the cake was as big a part of the cooking process as the rotation of the cake was. Even today most convection ovens when you set them to 300 are actually purposely lower temps to adapt to older recipes. The reason I bring up this long story is that sometimes when you make a change in the cooking process it can effect more then you think. I like the idea, I would bet it requires all your cook times would need adjusting over the older spritzing method.

BigbillBBQ

I don't think that is an accurate assessment of this design. Unlike cakes you can probe the meats while they are in the pit. Cakes you can not do that but even so people over time learned to compensate with the quicker cooking times with convection ovens. I think the old adage "BBQ is done when its done" would apply here. I really like the idea of an auto mister because its another step in the direction of hands free BBQ. While I love to have days where I BBQ all day, kids and work get in the way. Wouldn't it be great to put a brisket in the smoker with it auto wood feeder and auto mister and come home from a long day of work and it be ready for you and you didn't have to put all that work in it! I can smell it now :)

acmarti81

Did you try it?

I would be worried about the food-grade quality and heat resistance as well but curious if you tried it?!

A friend of mine came up with a pretty nifty solution to misting without opening his smoker. It's not even remotely made for cooking, so I think I can post the link without breaking the rules. If I'm in violation, please take the link down.

Exo Terra : Monsoon RS400 / High-pressure Misting System

It has a timer in it to automatically mist at intervals. I may try it, but the only thing I'm concerned about is the material for the tubing. I guess I could try to change it to something metal. I figure it could thread into the side of the MAK where the probes go.

Top Bottom