My name is Morrey and I am a pellet smoker

peedeeque

Well, let me first say I am not a new pellet smoker, rather a frustrated pellet smoker. For some years now, I have been using a pellet grill that is very widely purchased but not very effective in my opinion. You've probably guessed that it is a mass produced grill beginning with the letter "T". Note I didn't say anything defamatory...actually didn't even disclose the name of my soon to be replaced pellet grill. But I got turned off of pellets to be frank.

After multiple contacts with Bruce at MAK, I started looking closer at MAK grills. Honestly, I considered a couple of other grills along with MAK and did my due diligence with product research. I looked at dozens of videos, read dozen of reviews and searched every pellet forum out there. One thing I found myself doing was continually coming back to MAK as my benchmark. There is way too much positive feedback about MAK for there to be significant problems. I approached this purchase with confidence knowing there is a strong following in the pellethead community and good support by MAK behind their product. I pulled the One Star trigger last week.

The freight line just called to set-up a delivery time. By the weekend, I'll be trying out a new One Star with the satisfaction of knowing I made a fine choice. Keepin it lo' n slo'!

SmokinKat

Congrats! Don't hesitate to give us a holler if you've got any questions during set up or while you're getting acquainted with things! What have you got planned for a first cook?

--Kat @ MAK Grills

peedeeque

Kat...grill is assembled and ready to season tomorrow! This is a bad boy for sure! I will likely have a brined, spatchcocked chicken to put on as a test cook.

Last edited:

peedeeque

Welcome to the forum from Oregon, once you go MAK....you'll never go back..LOL

I like that quote, Gunny. I have now fired up the MAK and can say one thing...IMPRESSIVE! I did a test cook on chicken quarters and they came out so nicely done...even the skin! I kissed them with smoke a few minutes, then cranked up to 325F.

When I first considered the MAK I truly didn't think much about the Pellet controller, in other words, it did not alone sell me on the MAK. Rather, I was sold by the vast amount of positive feedback, MAK support and the quality of construction. But now that I am operating the grill, I can't be happier with the loads of features the controller offers. The handy probe is making my old faithful Thermapen jealous. In a test with the two probes in the same area of the thigh, the readings were virtually identical.

I ordered the Remote Boss from BPS and will come in today for installation. I will use the controller primarily to smoke (setting) butts for several hours, then programming to shift to 225F until target temp is reached. I can monitor on my bed stand while the Remote Boss is watching over my cook for me while sleeping during long, overnight cooks.

It is rare for me to feel this excited over a piece of cooking equipment. But the more I examine the MAK, the more confident I feel that I could not have made a better purchase than MAK. American Made.....YES!

Last edited:
Top Bottom