Need Some Vac Comments

cowdog

Interesting. I was just looking at vacuum sealers the other day. After researching I figured the Weston Pro-2300 would be the one I will purchase. Now, I kind of like the looks of that VacMaster. Guess I need to do some more research.

Big Poppa

Administrator
that looks small for the money use the search thread there was just a very good thread about a month ago that went into some serious detail

Ducaticraig

My only experience with a food sealer is with the Vacmaster VP215C I just purchased around 2 weeks ago. For me, the chamber sealer is the way to go. While I have not had the machine long I have sealed over 50 bags, one right after another, with zero seal issues. The unit came preset with a 40 second seal time, I have adjusted the time down to 22 seconds with no issues the vacuum performance. Having a chamber sealer has made sealing items with liquids a non issue. I think the VP112 has the option to attach a hose to vacuum seal canisters if that is something of interest to you. While front loading vacuum sealers are nicely priced, I've only heard people say sealing foods with liquids has been a little challenging. As for size of the seal bar and chamber goes, don't get too caught up in thinking you have to go with a unit that has a large seal bar. My VP215 has a 10" seal bar and I've not run into any situation where I wished I would have purchased a bigger unit. If you have something large to vacuum seal you can always cut the item down to size to fit the machine you select. If you're still not sure which sealer to buy find a store/company that has a good return policy. You may have to pay a restocking fee so check around. Good luck with your vacuum sealer purchase.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

FrozenTundra

I have had the 2300 for 3 years, went through 2 food saver units before that. This one has much more power and seals so much better. I like the Weston bags from amazon too.

Just used it to seal up a batch of bacon.
8496249413_dedc8d1af7_z.jpg

Carter13

I have had the 2300 for 3 years, went through 2 food saver units before that. This one has much more power and seals so much better. I like the Weston bags from amazon too.

Just used it to seal up a batch of bacon.
8496249413_dedc8d1af7_z.jpg

I bought a Weston 2300 a little over a year ago for a price I could not pass up and it has been fantastic. I had a Foodsaver that I gave to my Mom since it still worked. The Weston really is a workhorse and does a great job sealing.

Frozen Tundra,
I am glad to hear you are still happy with yours three years after your purchase.

FrozenTundra

This thread just cost me $899 for a new VacMaster VP215C :)
I hadn't looked at chamber sealers in a few years (prices have come down and machines are nicer) and I vacuum seal allot of fish in the summer and soups, stews & meats in the winter. It seems like I have to pre-freeze lots of stuff before I can seal it or I'm dealing with putting paper towel in to keep the juices from getting into the machine.
If this one works as good as I hear I may have to sell my trusty Weston unit soon.

Kite

This thread just cost me $899 for a new VacMaster VP215C :)
I hadn't looked at chamber sealers in a few years (prices have come down and machines are nicer) and I vacuum seal allot of fish in the summer and soups, stews & meats in the winter. It seems like I have to pre-freeze lots of stuff before I can seal it or I'm dealing with putting paper towel in to keep the juices from getting into the machine.
If this one works as good as I hear I may have to sell my trusty Weston unit soon.

Not to worry.. my satisfaction with mine cannot be overstated so I am sure you will be just as happy with yours. Be sure to buy bags in bulk - at less than $.03 each I seal just about everything in sight.

CDN Smoker

Thanks all for your input. I really like the idea of a chamber sealer and I think I will go with the VP112. Just can't find room for the larger one.

Ducaticraig

While size may play a role in the kitchen, I have been using mine in the garage. I placed it on a stainless steel table with wheels to move it around. When not in use I just cover it. Enjoy your chamber sealer, I'm sure enjoying mine. :)

5yzaduva.jpg
6upa4age.jpg
4y5yqy7u.jpg
vadesyse.jpg

Kite

Yeah, I put mine on a roll around cart that I made in my shop. It lives in the closet when I am not using it. Then comes out to play when I make a Cash and Carry run.

DSC03537_zps51fe008d.jpg

You might want to read the specs on the VP112 - I think the foot print might actually be bigger on that one. I don't think it is as tall, but I think it takes up more counter space. Just don't want you to make a purchase and then be surprised..

Last edited:

Ducaticraig

Congrats again on your purchase. I too have a cart just like that one. I might just have to move my VP215C over to it. I like the extra shelving space that cart has to offer. Now I'll have to figure out what to do with the cart I just purchased since I tossed the box it came in. I may have just wasted $140. I really hate wasting money like that.

FrozenTundra

Do tell.. how did it work out?
I am going to smoke them tomorrow, I did the brine at 50% strength as I knew I wouldn't get to smoking them till tomorrow night.
I am however cold smoking some belly bacon and Canadian bacon as we speak.

Dry cured for 2 weeks.
I let them dry in the 40º garage all day while I was at work to form the pellicle.
8519372631_d417885745_c.jpg

One of each coated with maple syrup and dark muscovado sugar.
8519372547_8bbd61f33b_c.jpg

8519372453_cb8f221503_c.jpg

Loaded in the smoker and I have 2 AMNPS with a Maple-Cherry-Hickory blend providing the smoke.
8520485906_667679f06a_b.jpg

Kite

Looks awesome! Bacon is going to be my next exploit - I just have to find someplace to buy the pork bellie.

Top Bottom