New MAK 1 Star on it's way...a few questions for the pros...

JD McGee

Hi guys...pretty excited about my new toy/tool...planning on breaking it in with a few pork butts for my neighbors son's graduation party this weekend. I am looking for a timline reference for how long to leave them in smoke mode before kicking up the temp to foil then finish. I normally cook to color and feel as opposed to time and temp so this will be a learning curve for me...
Cheers!
JD

JD McGee

Thanks Sterling...are you using a meat probe? What temp do you ramp up to after smoking? How long(ish) at that temp before tossing in the cambro to get happy?

TentHunter

I normally cook to color and feel as opposed to time and temp so this will be a learning curve for me...

It's not nearly as big of a learning curve as you'd think; that's how a lot of us cook too.

Think of it this way; the Pellet Boss is simply tending the fire for you. Think about what your average temps & methods were using cooking on your other smoker/grill and simply apply it to your pellet grill. You will make your own adjustments. That's exactly what I did without disappointment.

As far as how long in smoke mode, that's really subjective. For pork shoulder, much like BP, I usually go anywhere from 1 to 2 hours before bumping the temp up to about 225°. No probe here, I go by color & feel just like you do!

Also remember, just like on a stick/charcoal burner lower heat = more smoke | higher heat = less smoke.

I can't wait to see pics of your first cook!

Last edited:

JD McGee

Thanks TentHunter...I have been cooking hot-n-fast on my wsm's for the last three years...this low-n-slow stuff is all greek to me! lol! I'll get it dialed in...just looking for some ballpark numbers...
JD

JD McGee

Can you tell us how you did pork butt on your WSM?

This is my timeline in a nutshell...internal temps roughly 190-195 for money muscle(slices)...210-220 for middle muscle(pulled).

8:00 PM Inject/rub butts 6-8lb bone in...wrap/cooler overnight
5:30 AM Fire pork butt WSM...re-rub butts
6:00 AM Pork butts on WSM...(225-250)
8:00 AM Check color...(300-325)
9:00 AM Check color...(300-325)
9:30 AM Check color...(300-325)
10:00 AM Foil pork butts (325-350)
11:00 AM Pull butts

Cheers!
JD

FLBentRider

I sometimes forgo the prerub and wrap stage.

I put the butts on around 9PM, set the pellet boss for 4 hours on SMOKE then 225F.
They are usually done between 11AM and 2pm the next day, my target IT is 195-200F.

I then Foil-Towel-Cooler until serving time, then pull and eat.

JD McGee

So...between 14-17 hours...wow! I'm thinking I will smoke for two hours...then cook @ 225 until 150-160ish then foil. I am then going to kick the temp up to 300-325 to power through the stall...kind of a lns/hnf hybrid cook.

FLBentRider

So...between 14-17 hours...wow! I'm thinking I will smoke for two hours...then cook @ 225 until 150-160ish then foil. I am then going to kick the temp up to 300-325 to power through the stall...kind of a lns/hnf hybrid cook.

You could use your wsm plan with the MAK if you wanted to.

If you foil them, they will cook faster, but I don't like the way the bark turns out.

Just because you can cook them faster, does not mean you should.

Before the MAK, I did them in a Bradley Electric, and 18-20 (or even longer) was normal.

Experiment and get your method down.

squirtthecat

I'm a little different.. 8PM. Set the MAK to 245°, pull the butt out of the packaging and slather/rub with whatever you like. (I've been using Sriracha lately) Toss it on and shut the lid. Don't peek. Don't even think about peeking. Get up in the morning (after a good night's scleep) and start a pot of coffee. Go stab it and see what the IT is. Anywhere N of 195 works for me. Do the FTC thing for a couple hours, and it will fall to pieces.

JD McGee

Welcome to show jd. Folks this guy knows his BBQ. Nice seeing you in cloverdale.

Thanks for the kind words! This whole pellet cooking scene is new to me! I plan to listen more...yap less! :cool: Not sure I remember anyone named Jables though...:eek:

Jables

Would love to but........ Not quite ready to throw my hat in the ring. Besides in my neck of the woods bc ferries keeps me from making the rounds as much as I'd like.

JD McGee

Guys I think JD won 6 gcs last year cooked at the jack the last two years.

We are only as good as our last cook...and that ain't sayin' much! Lol! Thanks for the props Sterling...the bar has been raised up in PNWBA land this year...a lot of folks taking classes and upping their games. Which brings me here...

Top Bottom