Non-BBQ Cooking Classes

ACW3

I saw an article in the Charlotte Observer several days ago. A chef from Johnson and Wales culinary school was offering three one day classes that sounded interesting to me. they are hands-on classes, not just demonstrations. The first class is on the classic French sauces. The second class is all about different kinds of soups. The third one deals with "sensory analysis". This one is all about the pairing of different things like salty and sweet. I am hoping to generate some cooking ideas from the first two. The third class should be one that will help me put some interesting combinations together.

Is, or has, anyone taken any non-BBQ classes? Tell us all about them.

Art

Big Poppa

Administrator
I havent but I think that when you get stuck for inspiration you look to other cooking avenues..slasses, cookbooks, stumbleupon etc

Deb

I have been given gift certificates to King Arthur classes for gifts so I have taken a couple of their full to 1 1/2 day classes. One with a KA instructor and one a guest instructor. Both were great

the first time I had a hard time working one into my schedule so I ended up taking a wedding cake class (1 1/2 days). I never plan on actually making one but I learned a lot from it. I was way over my head - everyone had to tell why they were there - bakery employee, going to open a bakery, bakery manager, HS home ec teacher, going to make son's wedding cake in fall, and then me.... looked like a good class?

Here's what I made - it tasted better than it looked -obviously my decorating skills need work
pictures055.jpg

Second one was last fall and taught by Ciril Hitz from Johnson & Wales - it was artisan pastries and breads. my main reason for taking this class was focused on the croissants - it was a great class - limited hands on - very fast paced .

here's a croissant I made after that class (needs work, tasted good)
photo-73.jpg
photo-74.jpg

future plans are to take some wood fired oven classes - pizza and baking/roasting in the residual heat to see if it's something that I really want to invest in

HoDeDo

We teach a pretty wide variety of cooking classes... usually related to outdoor cooking, but definately stuff outside of everyday BBQ.
Smoking, grilling, tailgate/party foods, dutch oven, desserts - with an outdoor slant.

There are many places you can get access to these types of classes. If I find some regionally I might try to take one when traveling.... for example Enola Prudhomme (RIP) taught creole cooking classes in NOLA, (got to take one when down there). In KC there are several venues like the Culinary Center of KC that offer classes. You can take various seafood classes from Chef T. Stack @ the Savoy Grill, or Italian from Jasper Mirable, from Marco Polo's / Jasper's. One of my favorite things to do when I was younger. Get to meet the chefs, get some good stories, and go as deep as you want into the dishes they cook. Great way to get some of the local flavor of talent in the area. Definitely fun to do if you are a "foodie" or just in need of some inspiration.

BP is probably the king of this... you see it in lots of the things he posts... but we like to take other cooking styles, and incorporate them in a way that allows us to adapt them to ourdoor cooking. The results are usually stellar. I know there is a thread where BP has stated BBQ has ruined him... I think it ruins us all in a good way. If I find time for a class, it's usually to help me nail something I want to add my own twist to.

We get to teach in some of the same venues I took classes at as a kid, so that is kinda fun too... But you can find classes on everything from gluten free, to pasta, "mother" sauces, mixology (fresh/new libations), gastronomy you name it. Take them when you find them!

Top Bottom