OK Lets blow the doors of this weeks contest!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Lurkers Rookies and countrymen....fire up your smoker and break out a new or old recipe and make me pay!!!!!!

First place $25 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

$ 5 for everybody else!!!!!

Use Big Poppa's Money or Happy Ending and get an extra $5 for the top three entries!

Show us some creative ways of using money and Happy

Rip

Would love to use either this weekend...not going to get here that soon! Just checked UPS, they're showing next Wed for delivery, wow, usually its 3-4 work days, this will be 6. NOT BPS's fault!

Last edited:

Chili Head

Pulled Pork and Black Bean Enchiladas

Today I made Pulled Pork and Black Bean Enchiladas.

This started off with a 3:00 am butt cook. I rubbed the butt down with some garlic EVOO and some Mas Quapo seasoning.

6ccc5677.jpg

2d6b0aab.jpg

A mix of hickory and apple pellets in the hopper, pellet boss set and butt rubbed and on the rack.

a32327b4.jpg

0e55ec47.jpg

Time for bed..10 hours later the butt is done.
I leave the room for a few minutes and see a hole in the side of it and a smile on the wifes face..It must have passed QC :D
5.jpg

11.jpg

6.jpg

Great color and taste..I did good!

I shut the MAK off to investigate an issue (explaned in another topic) and after fixing that I fired it back up burning oak. On with the ABT's with onion and chive cream cheese and some with Habanero pepper cheese.

3.jpg

10.jpg

Dusted with some soileaus..smoked for an hour then cooked at 250 until done. Smoked some jalapenos as well for dinner.

Time for the dessert making..Here we go. I decided to make a chocolate mud cobbler...because thats what it looks like.
Continued..

Chili Head

The cobbler ingredients.
020-10.jpg

First off I melted two sticks of butter.

027-9.jpg

I mixed some self rising flour, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and added some milk. Stir stir stir..
021-10.jpg

022-10.jpg

In another bowl I added some cocoa , sugar and some dark chocolate chips.

025-9.jpg

026-9.jpg

I poured the flour and sugar mixture over the butter then added the cocoa and sugar over the batter.

028-8.jpg

029-5.jpg

Now over that I added 2 cups of boiling water.

030-6.jpg

Into the MAK at 360 for 45 minutes.

031-6.jpg

continued..

Chili Head

Looks like the ABT's are ready to munch!

032-4.jpg

On to the Enchiladas.

033-5.jpg

I mixed the pulled pork, black beans, home made salsa, cheese and taco seasoning up in a bowl. This is our stuffing for the tortillas.

037-1.jpg

039-3.jpg

041-2.jpg

042-3.jpg

After rolling I placed them into a pan and covered them with some enchilada sauce ,cheese and freah cut cilantro.

046-1.jpg

044-2.jpg

049-1.jpg

Into the MAK to get happy.

051-1.jpg

continued..

Chili Head

Alrighty! The cobbler and enchiladas are done.

055-1.jpg

056-1.jpg

OK lets get this stuff on a plate and eat!

061-1.jpg

And cut open to see the pulled pork stuffing. This is some good stuff :D

064-1.jpg

Oh my..I was stuffed after eating the enchiladas but there's always room for mud cobbler!

Chocolate cobbler with some whipped cream and a slight dusting of cocoa powder over the top.

065-2.jpg

067-1.jpg

WOW it was buttery!! I need to tweak on this dessert some. It tasted good but I think one stick of butter would have been plenty. The wife told me the flour was self rising flour so I didnt use the salt and baking powder. The cake ended up a little too dense for my taste. Next time I make this I'll use regular flour,salt and baking powder instead of self rising flour. The wife then said..maybe that was regular flour..LOL DOH! Another lesson learned today..keep the product labels.

Now the enchiladas were outstanding! I was palnning on having some ABT's with dinner too but they didnt make it..they seldom do :p

I hope you enjoyed watching me cook today.

Last edited:

ACW3

Chili,
I haven't had breakfast yet, but those enchiladas look wonderful. I could eat a plate of those anytime. The chocolate cobbler looked good, too. When you mentioned cobbler, my mind was headed off in a different direction. I like the chocolate approach, a lot.

I guess I better go fix breakfast now. Nothing approaching this meal, however.

Art

wneill20

Smoke Stuffed Chicken. Before i got started had to put some munches on.
ABT and Sausage Jalapeno Balls
Munches.jpg

The Team
Team.jpg

Saute the onions, mushrooms, sausage, spinach, garlic and let cool
Saute.jpg

Then debone the Chicken
Chicken.jpg

Then stuff the bird.
StuffedChicken.jpg

Sew it back up.
SewedUp.jpg

On the Smoker.
OnTheSmoker.jpg

Almost done.
AlmostDone.jpg

Here it is done and resting.
Done.jpg

Last edited:

bflodan

Money Rubbed Chicken with Duck Fat Parmesan Potatoes

Had the folks over for a meal Sat night. Decided to do a little chicken this weekend along with some duck fat potatoes and some artichokes marinated in a balsamic vinaigrette.

First rubbed the chicken with a little Chilli EVOO and then some new Money Rub

IMG_5726.jpg

Took some tri-colored potatoes, cut them up and added onion and fresh grated parm, mixed it all up with some duck fat and topped with a little more parm..

IMG_5728.jpg

Everthing on the MAK. Ran on smoke for 30 min then up to 325... When chicken hit almost 150 I then raised it 375 to crisp up the skin for a bit, also added the artichokes at this time.. Sauced up a couple pieces with some Spicy Salt Lick during the last 5 min..

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5734.jpg

Enjoyed with an ice cold Labatt Blue

IMG_5733.jpg

This chicken comes out so good off the MAK, and the Money Rub is fantastic. Im upset because I wanted to try the happy ending but totally forgot about it.. There is always next time!!

Susan

K.I.S.S, Keep It Simple, Susan

It felt like a good day to do something very simple.

Here is the ground beef doctored with salt, pepper and a little Worcestershire Sauce.
04-15-2012002.jpg

Burgers made.
04-15-2012003.jpg

Here they are on the Weber with a couple of natural casing hot dogs and a pot of oak pellets. (note the uneven cooking! Yikes!)
04-15-2012005.jpg

I plated the burger with a deviled egg and fingerling potato salad.
04-15-2012007.jpg

Simply good food.

RickB

Ok let me start by saying sorry for the pic quality. My wife ran off to Vegas on a buis trip and took my camera. All I had to use was a 10 year old 2 mp. On the good side I have no one harping about my diet. So let's be really bad!

Split grilled lobster tails and baked potato. Desert later.

Cooked some shallots,lemon,butter and S&P strained and let cool.Spooned onto the tails.
CIMG1952.jpg

Onto the Mak using Sugar Maple pellets. Cooked at about 325
CIMG1959.jpg

Want to cook these to about 135-140
CIMG1961.jpg

Time to eat! Money shot!

CIMG1966.jpg

Like I said being bad..desert.
Made my wife some homemade frozen yogurt the other day and it had to go on something. How about some dutch apple pie.

CIMG1972.jpg

Enjoy!

PS the sugar maple and lobster was fantastic. You gotta try it!

Last edited:

Scallywag

Comfort food Sunday

Took a fresh yardbird.. hit it with garlic evoo and a good hit of Desert Gold.

Smoked for an hour..

Made up some Big Bob Gibson's white sauce.. found the recipie on the interwebs...

Scallywag

When the bird hit 110.. turned up the tank to 375 to finish.. basted with the white sauce every 10 mins till done at 185

Done and plated up with some fav sides.. wife gave me a kiss and said I did good...I'm a happy guy!!

FLBentRider

Get away weekend rib eyes.

The Mrs. and I went to Disneys Fort Wilderness campground for the weekend.

Started with some Rib eyes
IMG_00000067.jpg

Add some Big Poppas Double Secret steak rub, throw them on the weber Q with some oak pellets in a foil packet
IMG_00000068.jpg

I'm still waiting for MAK to produce a portable pellet grill...

Flippy...
IMG_00000069.jpg

IT around 122F, time to rest.
IMG_00000070.jpg

Add some onions, mushrooms and a salad, dessert will be at a theme park later...
IMG_00000072.jpg

soupyjones

I decided to just make something simple and hopefully tasty that I could eat while watching a hockey game. Pulled pork fit the bill. I picked up a cheap shoulder roast and got it all trimmed up
001-2.jpg

Balsamic glue and homemade pork rub
002-1.jpg

On to the traeger we go
003-2.jpg

A few hours later I threw on an apple for my sauce.
004-2.jpg

brought it in after 9 hours and got a beer while it rested.
006-2.jpg

Let it cool a bit and pulled it up. My sauce was not what I was hoping for but the pork was great
008-1.jpg

Thanks for taking a look guys

Rip

Stuffed Peppers

After last weekend's ham plus a week of ham leftovers, I decided to try and eat a little healthier today.

Stuffed bell peppers. The kids of course wanted hamburgers and taters. They won't eat what I consider to be an excellent burger (thick burger piled high with all sorts of fixin's) so I didn't bother to photo the burgers.

The players for the pepper stuffing.
IMG_2885sm.jpg

On to the MAK @275.
IMG_2890sm.jpg

The potatoes and onions are sliced, drizzled with Gradassi's chili EVOO and melted butter, then sprinkled with BPS Desert Gold.
IMG_2888sm.jpg

The peppers took about 90 minutes (165 IT).
IMG_2899sm.jpg

After the peppers came off the MAK was bumped up to 400 and the hamburgers were cooked. My wife made me a new BBQ towel.
IMG_2892sm.jpg

Here's the plated pic. Drizzled with Hot Squeeze sauce.
IMG_2914sm.jpg

This makes an extremely moist turkey loaf as well. The last time I made it I only had two peppers so I cooked the leftover stuffing in a meatloaf pan. Even after two days in the fridge it was still moist and tasty. I will post the recipe in the Gallery post.

Thanks for looking!

Top Bottom