OK, this pellet thing is...

Spey Rod

AWSOME!

We had a meeting at the house tonight so the dinner schedule was whacked. In the middle of the meeting I got up and started the MAK on smoke and threw 4 oysters and a salmon filet on. After the meeting, @45 min, I pulled them off and cranked the grill to 450. A little olive oil and the MAK fish rub on the oysters and salmon, plus a couple black cod filets, and back on the grill when it hit 415.

Lets just say the wife thinks I am a hero. To top things off my 7 yo daughter, self proclaimed fish hater and previously fed, ate major portions of all three. What doesn't this grill make taste better?

Signed, MAK fan boy...

TentHunter

Welcome to the "dark side!" :cool:

It didn't take long for me to get hooked after my first pellet-fueled grill either.

scooter

You run in culinary crowds that are more difficult to please than the ones I run in! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

JoelCharles

YES! Is there that much of a difference with using pellets then charcoal? I'm willing to take a chance on it and expand my horizons, but is it worth it? I've read a little a bit about it and saw a few options and was thinking of this Smoker.

ANY HELP will be most welcome.

What do you think of a Treager Texas Grill?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spey Rod

YES! Is there that much of a difference with using pellets then charcoal? I'm willing to take a chance on it and expand my horizons, but is it worth it? I've read a little a bit about it and saw a few options and was thinking of this Smoker.

ANY HELP will be most welcome.

What do you think of a Treager Texas Grill?

Joel,

What can I say? I have cooked on charcoal and gas Webers for a lot of years. I pitched in and bought a friend a Trager Texas for his wedding present. He has made some rocking ribs and turkey on it. Fast forward 4 years and my current Weber gasser is literally burnt out. I started researching Tragers and learned a ton about pellet grills. My wife was kind enough to bless a new grill and I ended up buying a MAK 1 Star.

First of all, there is a huge difference in flavor using a pellet grill vs gas or charcoal. My wife commented after eating a venison burger last night, "we are spoiled. This grill cooks better food than we have ever eaten." My son said it was the best burger he has ever eaten. Is it worth it? Absolutely!

Regarding the Trager. I don't have one but have eaten some great ribs and turkey off my buddies. The difference between the Trager and the Mak is true grilling. I can grill burgers on the Mak, not so sure on the Trager. The programability and meat probes on the Mak make the price difference a no brainer.

Additionally, I bought a remote thermometer when I bought the Mak, a Oregon Scientific model. It is a huge help in absolutely nailing my cooks. The chicken I cooked Monday night was perfectly done and the most moist I have ever cooked.

The only problem now is I am sorry I didn't tighten the belt and buy the 2 star so I can cold smoke...

Top Bottom