Posting Pictures - help!

sschorr

I do not know what I am doing wrong, but I cannot upload/post pictures. Here is what I get when trying:

Fatal User Error
:

• Could not create file system directory to hold your attachment.

Unable to proceed with save while $errors array is not empty in class
vB_DataManager_AttachmentFiledata
in
..../includes/class_dm.php
on line

I also get the following error when clicking "My Photos":

Photo Popup Error #2: missing config file

The class file
includes/cel/cel_pp_class_albums
and/or the configuration file
cel/cel_pp_config/cel_pp_config_albums
for this product is missing. Please consult installation instructions for this mod.

sschorr

I would really appreciate some help here with uploading pictures. I do not see a link to email any Admin or Moderator directly.

Thanks for any assistance!

TentHunter

Sam, I'm not sure what you're clicking on to get the message you're getting. Not enough info.

First, to get the most out of posting pics be sure you have an account with a photo hosting site such as Flickr, Imgr, ImgBB, etc. (I'd stay away from PhotoBucket - too many issues).

Upload your photos there, and most of them have tools that will let you copy and paste a link to your photo in a forum post. The link will look similar to this (with the image tags [lMG] [/lMG]):

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/RcXHTSO.jpg[/IMG]

The Insert Image button only works for either attaching pics which then appear at the bottom of a post (and live on the forum server), or if you are using a hosting site which does not have the tools for creating a link with image tags (such as Google Photos).

To use that button you have to: Copy the image URL (Right click on the photo from the photo hosting site and click "Copy Image Location"), Then in your forum post click the "Insert Image" Button, click the "From URL" tab, paste the link in the box, make sure to UNCHECK "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", and click OK.

Whichever way you choose, after you place the link with image tags into your post, and post it, the image will show up in the post for others to view.

Hope this helps!

Cliff

sschorr

Thanks Cliff! I have not used a hosting site for my pics - I am very leery of social media. BBQ forums are my only social media accounts. I’ll see if I can link from Google Drive or OneDrive. I believe they allow me to create a “shared” folder that might allow URL inserts. TBC...

BTW, the first error in my post comes when trying to use the Attachments function. I can browse to me photos, but when I click “upload”, that is when that first error message pops up. The second error message comes when I try using the My Photos button.

Last edited:

sschorr

test of Google drive Link

Trying to use Image Insert for Google Drive URL:

view

Last edited:

sschorr

Tried the Insert Image

So, in the post below, I tried using the Insert Image with a URL. As far as I can tell, no URL with appropriate tags was inserted.

Since I do not use or have an account for photo sharing, I'll have to ponder whether to do that just to share photos on this site.

Thanks for the help.

TentHunter

I use Google Photos (since I have a Google account anyway with my phone), and with that it can be private so no-one else sees your photos or albums on your account. The only photos anyone sees is whatever you link to in a forum post, and that is only seen within the forum.

sschorr

TH - I have tried the method using Google Photos as I also have a Google account. I loaded pictures into Google, right clicked one, copied the URL, then did a Reply here on the forum, used the Insert Image button, copied the URL into the box for it, unclicked the Retrieve button, and clicked OK.

Still no image showing. do I need to put the IMG - /IMG tags in the URL box?

AF1QipMEHNz3WNLLJEtZ4MN_IPdbxHrerry7xooaEnm-
This is the link URL: Browser no longer supported

Ahh! I think the answer is that this method is not supported in Microsoft Edge. I'll try a different browser later.
aVWcdp8inGQc32ad7

TentHunter

Yes... Microsoft Edge browser is the worst browser to use for ANY forum! There are several known issues that Microsoft just doesn't seem to care about fixing. Smiley's, for example, don't work for many forum users.

That may also be why you couldn't get the pics to post.

I like FireFox, and rarely ever have any issues. Plus the plug-ins for FireFox also automatically work with other browsers.

Here's the manual way to post photos if you can't get the "Insert Image" button to work (this method is easiest with FireFox or Chrome - Microsoft makes it harder because right clicking doesn't give you the same menu options):

1) Open your Google Photo image so it's being viewed by itself (not as a thumbnail).

2) Right Click on the image and copy the URL/Image Location.

3) Go to your forum post, and manually type the BBCode image tags: [IMG][/IMG] - (be sure the second one has the slash.)

4) Paste the image URL in between the two image tags, so it looks like this:

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Y38rRb0iG9BpAjELoWuKw_dH7RQlOwxTzwIr7ABcYIt9dhv3wFq5ht-LYzI8hGv8n61MVveJXPUFONUAy0_epyrpRqFy_nymCtbOE8RuA6yW-A9n9TRGScSL5BdzElw581C9sI0pHkdzW0GHfnessxosX2ouX6vPKcuSI07D_tumB8vgHGUnZdRCCAMQJdipzrlg1PaS3BTTBDKf8K3qtKgaT2dFwR6JPGUstFk7cGf8TuNCSKteeiuZPGDSTSNfQn13mANnsaRVKaPEF6pExcbN6GRoRurRlVm1q6OmK6ADbYBamOkN5o-py3wYq__zQmhTfZzf9wzvatqDybV-gsfTNQORtRGGqfNVgqpYgDb1PI2E6NcQ-8naQN6yg_Eb-1c8dHH1dgsl0xvalv-HCz0HXJIbIvcVMkCrrpg6Jj7p2Hv4LJsOmOTuw-WSEOytqSBlihQUZPBn5qbJVEZ6haphZsVOBfIDck8zHG3nENVXSMpHURy46wfGu-yEMRBYk9XZMilYH_0QWr3rc1Qkh0WG1eLjfKs1kW35YLLJz-YYQ5if_IqU1zhKi4iX08eUVlJfEWDoqtkgqsNiHyk7X1AfSxSgIi_N9dlkk4A=w640-h480-no[/IMG]

Google Photo URL's will be LONG, but that's OK! Only you will see the URL/Link. Once it's posted the image is what shows up.

One more tip: Before uploading images to your account, resize photos to no larger than 800 X 600 pixels (740 pixels is the maximum width this forum can display without scrolling). This saves you a TON of disk space on your account, makes uploading much quicker, lets the forum post to display quicker, and allows folks to see the entire image in the forum post without having to scroll.

If you look through some of my food posts you will see the max size images I have for this forum are 740 pixels wide. They fit perfectly within the borders and are PLENTY big enough for good viewing.

Hope this all makes sense! :)

Cliff

sschorr

I have Firefox (and Chrome), but still couldn't get the Image button to work. The manual method worked, so at least I can move forward!

Thanks!

dubob

Yep, the manual method of uploading from my computer to the post using the INSERT button does not work at all. It goes through a process and then stops, but I have no idea where the pictures went. They are NOT at the bottom of the post as they should be. So where did they go?

TentHunter

The Attach/upload picture process seems to be broken.

The best thing to do is use a Google Photo account (or other photo hosting site), upload your pics to that site and embed them into the post using the image tags: [img] [/img] manually like I described in the previous post.

dubob

The Attach/upload picture process seems to be broken. Ya think? ����

The best thing to do is use a Google Photo account (or other photo hosting site), upload your pics to that site and embed them into the post using the image tags: [img] [/img] manually like I described in the previous post.
Yep! I have an Imgur account for just that purpose. We're good. ��

Top Bottom