Pulled chicken, how much?

Phred

I am cooking pulled chicken for 30 people, how many thighs do you recommend I cook? It is for an office party, all adults.

Thanks,

Fred

Phred

Follow-up question, how may thighs can I cook on the Mak 2 including the full size second shelf?

jettman96

I would say a minimum of 30 thighs but if it were me I would probably go with 35 to 40 thighs just to be on the safe side.

But I've never done pulled chicken so I would be interested to know what others have to say.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for your second question.

Mayn

I don't really know. But I would say a 1/3 -1/2lb or so per sandwich depending on your bun size. So at least 10-15lbs I would say. That's if everyone is only having one sandwich. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KimG SOW

For catering, we always say 1/2 lb cooked meat per person. Now, you need to look who you are serving. Are they the type that will only have 1 serving or more. When people serve themselves, they usually take more than 1 serving, so you need to be prepared for that. We almost always cook more than our original estimate.

The other thing to think about is uncooked weight vs. cooked weight. You will lose about 20% from the uncooked weight.

How we would cook it is - Boneless/skinless thighs - in a pan and braise with butter till done - pull
That way you will only lose a couple %.

TentHunter

Kim is giving good advice! When planning for a large crowd I have found, like Kim, that 1/2 pound per person seems to work out very well, by time you add the other food.

Don't go by the number of thighs, go by weight. If it's boneless buy Buy at least 30 - 35% more than you need pre-cooked. That allows for a 20% loss from cooking and leaves just a little extra (just in case).

Here's another tip: Put the meat at the END of the food line. This way folks will get the side dishes first, instead of taking too much meat to begin with.

15 lbs. X 135% = 20.25 lbs. pre-cooked

Phred

Thank You for your input. I purchased boneless, skinless thighs, and then cooked them in pans on the smoker. Before cooking them I trimmed off a lot of the fat, then applied the rub and cooked them in butter. I then pulled them and applied bbq sauce. I got lots of complements so I thank you.

Phred

Just as a follow-up question, it took quite a while to trim the fat off the thighs, do you take the time to do that or skip that step?

TrickyDick

I used the search box, I heard from a little birdie that its my friend!

Planning a new year's eve party. My wife doesn't want me to cook this year because she wants me to relax, so we are getting it catered. Planning for about 30 mouths to feed give or take, and some are kids, and other folks will be bringing snack items I assume. Its all very casual. The 1/2 pound cooked meat per person rule seems to be a fairly good idea. I am going to be placing my order for a new BBQ joint that opened nearby and its all really good stuff. They sell ribs by full or half slab. Any idea on what those will feed? I am guessing a half slab could probably feed one hungry person. Wondering if there is a rule for side dishes too? Their mac and cheese is insanely good. Thinking that I'll shy away from the fried side items which probably won't hold up well. Probably slaw + mac and cheese possibly collard greens.

Since I am assuming other folks will bring snack items I think I will get 15# meat and one gallon of 3 different side items. That sound reasonable? Not sure what a gallon of mac and cheese looks like or how many it'll feed.

TD

Top Bottom