Rib Binders

Moomtaz

I usually use something wet to coat my ribs before I rub them, I call it binder but i'm not sure if it has a real name. I have mostly used mustard, but I have also used molasses. Others use some type of oil, i.e. olive, grape seed, or vegetable. Ive even heard of people using maple syrup. Some don't use any binder at all. So the questions are:

What do you use and why. Have you experimented with other types and why do you like the one you chose over others? Have you noticed a big difference in flavor in the end product depending on which binder you use?

Just curious

SmokinSteiny

I dunno if I'm not using enough or something when I do mine. But, I've tried using the different balsamic glazes that BPS has, and I don't really taste a difference, maybe I'm not putting enough on, I dunno. They are great just not sure I like them on ribs to be covered up by a rub. Great on steaks and veg though! For the most part I stick to mustard and garlic olive oil.

sparky

well, i watched the BP cooking videos on ribs. he uses mustard. so i do. i'm using honey mustard now. i like it. i have used in the past molasses, balsamic glazes, chili oil, honey, karo syrup, maple syrup, blue agave, horseradish sauce, bbq sauce, stone ground deli mustard, grey poupon, dr pepper and tang. still like the mustard.

scooter

Anything I add as glue must contribute to the flavor profile in some way which is why I stopped using mustard. I use worcestershire sauce as glue sometimes will also add roasted garlic olive oil.

fishingbouchman

I dunno if I'm not using enough or something when I do mine. But, I've tried using the different balsamic glazes that BPS has, and I don't really taste a difference, maybe I'm not putting enough on, I dunno.

I am by no means a smoker yet but I am with SmokinSteiny. I need to work on my pallet as I can't tell a big difference between them. All I know is the food all turn out pretty good.

SmokinSteiny

I am by no means a smoker yet but I am with SmokinSteiny. I need to work on my pallet as I can't tell a big difference between them. All I know is the food all turn out pretty good.

Atleast I'm not the weird one out of the bunch, well I still might be, eh who knows! lol You hit it on the head though whatever I have done has turned out PDG as Squirt would say, so I'm happy just using mustard. I'll save the fancy stuff for steaks and seafood!

Chili Head

I use mustard because I think the vinegar tenderizes the meat some. But it depends on the flavors I'm after..sweet I try to use something sweet like agave. I'm not a sweet BBQ kinda person so I rarely use agave on ribs. My ribs usually get garlic or chili oil or mustard. I've been cooking a lot of buffalo style ribs and those get hot sauce or chili oil for glue with a Cajun spice. Then more hot sauce in the foil then a glazing of hot sauce then hot sauced again on the plate lol.
If you use CYM you won't taste it on the final product which is why a lot of people use it I think. Any time I'm not using mustard I try to use something that pairs with the flavor I'm after.

muebe

I like to slather my butts in molasses but when it comes to ribs I prefer to just use a rub strait with no glue. I find that it creates a bit more bark. I like that bark on my butts but not so much on my ribs.

But the times I have used a glue I do not notice a big change in flavor profile with mustard. Others say they can taste it but I cannot. I can however taste the molasses slightly.

Kite

well, i watched the BP cooking videos on ribs. he uses mustard. so i do. i'm using honey mustard now. i like it. i have used in the past molasses, balsamic glazes, chili oil, honey, karo syrup, maple syrup, blue agave, horseradish sauce, bbq sauce, stone ground deli mustard, grey poupon, dr pepper and tang. still like the mustard.

Wow sparky.. that pretty much covers the pantry.

dc1956

Sparky, how about cocktail sauce, A-1, thousand island dressing, mayonaise, peanut butter, salsa, jar gravy, hershey's syrup, creme soda, grape jelly, heinz 57, green goddess or melted popsicles. It should take you what, about a week to get through these?

Dave

KristenBPS

Sparky, how about cocktail sauce, A-1, thousand island dressing, mayonaise, peanut butter, salsa, jar gravy, hershey's syrup, creme soda, grape jelly, heinz 57, green goddess or melted popsicles. It should take you what, about a week to get through these?

Dave

OH WOW!!!! thanks Dave for the laugh, coffee almost came out of my nose!

dc1956

Actually I normally don't use anything. Trim, rinse off with a little water, shake them a little and apply the rub. I may have to try some of the more traditional glues.

Dave

sparky

Dave

i don't have a1, thousand island dressing, jar gravy, grape jelly, heinz 57 or green goddess. mayo, PB, Hersheys syrup would burn on the grill. duh?

chaz345

As small/thin as ribs are, I find that there's no need to make a lot of rub stick to them. I usually dust them fairly lightly with my usual pork rub and toss em on the smoker.

TentHunter

Once in a while I'll use a very thin layer of mustard as glue, but mostly just apply the rub after rinsing off the ribs and patting dry. I find the ribs are plenty moist/sticky enough to hold the amount of rub that I like

Like Muebe, I just don't care for a thick bark on the ribs. I'd rather have the rub act as a seasoning and not double as a bark.

SmokinSaluki

Captain Morgan. Add a little for glue and drink a little. If the ribs don't turn out as good as expected, drink some more and you might forget about the ribs : )

Top Bottom