Roast Duck, Wild Rice & Kabocha Squash

383inTheD

I've had the duck on my list of to do's and this was finally the weekend. I started by prepping a brine for the bird using water, cider vinegar, orange juice, smoked salt, sliced oranges, cinnamon sticks, and pink peppercorns. I let the duck chill in the brine for 24 hours before hitting the grill.

Food003-1.jpg

I let it go the first 1.5 hours on smoke mode to allow the fat to start to loosen up.

Food2011-09-05002.jpg

I then bumped it the temp to 350. Meanwhile, I prepped a kobacha squash with some balsamic glaze and a spray of oil from the Misto. After the squash went for a while I hit them with a mix of Portuguese salt cream, cinnamon, and cumin. The squash finished after 1 hr 15 min and about 20 minutes later the Pellet Boss probe read 160 on the breast. Check.

Food2011-09-05003.jpg

Back in the house I prepped some wild rice and added some savory to lighten it up. I blanched some garden fresh green beans and recovered some of the rendered duck fat to finish off the beans in a saute pan along with salt and fresh cracked pepper. I prepared a rather traditional orange glaze sauce consisting of marmalade, honey, Grand Marnier, but kicked it up with fresh grated ginger. Dang that sauce was delicious.

Food2011-09-05006.jpg

For my very first roast duck, I was very pleased. I was happy to see the kids finish their plates. Let them tell that to their friends in school this week!

Top Bottom