Smokin Cheese on the Mak 1 Round 2

Carter13

I smoked 8 lbs of white cheddar cheese today. The abient temp was 32 degrees when I put it on at 8:30 this morning. After 30 minutes the temp was at 50 degrees. At the 2 hour mark the temp was at 61 degrees. At the three hour mark the temp was still at the 61 degree mark. The Maverick probe was placed right next to the side of the cheese closest to the AMNPS.
At the three and a half hour mark the single channel was done and the wider center channel was in full burn. At this point the temp was at 64 degrees. At the four mark the temp was at 66 degrees. I pulled the cheese at the four and a half hour mark with the temp still at 66 degrees.
The players, White Irish Cheddar and Tillamook White Cheddar.
View attachment 1116
All lined up at the start of the smoke.
View attachment 1119
The AMNPS loaded up half way and only one channel burning. The plastic containers are full of frozen water to help keep the temp down.
View attachment 1118
The cheese at 4 1/2 hours of smoke and pulled for cooling.
View attachment 1117
8 Lbs. vac packed and ready for the fridge.
View attachment 1120

Statistics from this smoke.
The ambient temp was 32 degrees at the start this morning at 8:30 and only got up to 34 degrees as a high during the smoke.
At 1.5 hours in the temp was at 59 degrees.
At 2 hours in the temp was at 61 degrees.
At 3 hours in the temp was at 61 degrees. The ambient temp was at 34 degrees at this point.
At 3.5 hours the temp was at 64 degrees because the narrow outside channel had burned out and the wider middle channel was now starting to burn.
At 4 hours the temp was at 66 degrees. The middle channel was now burning nicely.
The temp never got above 66 degrees and the cheese never even came close to sweating.
I was hoping to keep this smoke below 70 degrees and I am stoked that it did not go higher than 66 degrees.

ACW3

Okay, here is an update on my cheese smoking. The weather was great the other day. It never got above 37 degrees. I smoked the other half of my big buy using BD apple pellets. The only difference was that I listened to Cliff and coated my Mountain Cheddar Super Sharp cheese with paprika. The first picture is my latest smoke.

IMG_7107.jpg

The last picture is all the vacuum sealed cheese I smoked. Can you find Waldo?

IMG_7111.jpg

Art

Carter13

Nice stash you got there Art. I may just have to try that paprika trick.
I already know what cheese I am smoking next weekend. Stay tuned. BTW todays cheese was done using 1/2 lb of BM apple pellets.

Top Bottom