Tacos al Carbon

ACW3

This is one my favorite dinners to serve good friends. Most people have never had it before. I got this recipe from a fellow co-worker who hailed from Texas. He spent a lot of time in the Houston area when this recipe became fairly famous in Texas. This is my version, which is pretty close to the one I was introduced to back the early 80’s.

These are the basic players in this game. I took a flank steak and marinated it with soy sauce, vodka and minced garlic for about twenty four hours. The vodka helps to tenderize this piece of meat. I have used gin or Jack Daniel’s or a robust red wine like a Merlot to help tenderize the meat. Each imparts a slightly different finish to the marinade.

IMG_7132.jpg

The marinated flank steak is ready to go on the hot grill. I cranked the MAK up to high and measured the temps of my grill grates using my IR thermometer. 652 degrees! That is hot enough to put some sear marks on the meat!

IMG_7133.jpg

Meanwhile, back in the kitchen we are getting the “fixin’s” ready. Some sour cream, black olives, chopped green onions, and some salsa.

IMG_7134.jpg

In my one-piece double boiler I have added the Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies after running it through my blender and adding about a pound of Velveeta cheese until it all blended together into a nice cheese sauce. I use this stuff on scrambled eggs, omelets, even English muffins. It makes a good all-purpose dip for anytime.

IMG_7135.jpg

Now it’s time to slice the meat. Voila, sliced flank steak!

IMG_7136.jpg

In my 8” tortilla holder, I have a stack of flour tortillas ready to be used for the meal.

IMG_7137.jpg

Different people do this in a different order, but this is the way I like to make mine. I put a slice, or two, of the flank steak into flour tortilla and fold it over in thirds. Next I added a layer of the Rotel cheese sauce. After that I added the black olives, green onions, salsa and sour cream. A nice glass of red wine (in this case a really fine Malbec) or a Fat Tire would be the appropriate adult beverages of choice.

IMG_7138.jpg

It seems that every time I make this recipe, there are very few leftovers. I guess I need to start doubling up on everything if I want leftovers. Hope you enjoyed viewing this dish. It’s really easy to make. Try it and see if you have the same results.

Art

ACW3

Come on, sparky! If you're coming I may have to do a double-double recipe!

Art

PS. We'll need lots of FT!!!

ACW3

Sparky,
How are you getting to Rick's? Are you driving or flying? It would be a long drive, but I'll bet you could pick up a few friendly faces along the way. You could even stop here at the house and we could car pool/caravan on into Rick's.

Maybe I need to check with Rick and see if we get in early enough (like Thursday instead of Friday) I could cook some tacos al carbon at his place. We could fire up his Meadow Creek and put a serious sear on thos flank steaks. Just thinking out loud.

Art

ACW3

Sparky,
PM me your flight information and where you are staying. Depending on when you arrive, I might be available for taxi service. I will be getting a reservation at the Hampton Inn about 2.5 miles from Rick's for teesquare and myself.

Art

Top Bottom