Temp 10 deg F below setpoint

Linuxr

When I set my MAK 1 Star to any temp the grill heats up to the setpoint and then after I put the meat on it drops back down to -15 - -20 deg below the setpoint and then only goes back up to 10 deg below the setpoint. So if I set the grill to 350 it heats up to 350 and then after I put the meat on it drops down to 340-335 and then slowly goes back up to 340 and will not go above that. I can set it to 450 and it does the same thing, goes to 450 put meat on and down to 430-435 and goes back up to 440 and will not go higher. Any help?

KyNola

Remember that the temp is being measured in the far left rear corner, the furthermost point from the firepot. I assure you the temperature just above the firepot is at least 10 degrees above your set point. Besides, a 10 degree difference is of no consequence unless you are smoking sausages where you need tighter temperature controls. I'm willing to bet you would see at least a 10 degree difference in your house oven as well.

Linuxr

Temp

The I know the temp will vary but the problem is the controller. On the controller I set the SETPOINT to 350 the grill will get to 350 then I put my meat on the grill and then the controller will flash SETPOINT 350 then Flash Grill 340. It never even tries to get the grill back up to 350, it keeps it at 340. I have tried other temps and its the same on any temp I set it to. If I want to cook something at 400 I have to set the SETPOINT to 410.

TentHunter

It's not uncommon for me to see this, particularly during colder weather. The colder the weather, the more drastic this seems. If I catch it, I just bump the set point up another 5° - 10° to help compensate and let it go. It always chugs along and never affects the outcome of my cook.

Make sure your temp sensor is clean, and take a gander at this thread: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet-smoking-com-lounge-9/obsessing-over-pit-temps-4991/

If you think there's a problem, don't be afraid to give MAK a call, or Big Poppa Smokers, if they were your dealer.

Big Poppa

Administrator
first off you are putting a cold piece of meat in a oven...think of it like putting a similar size ice cube in hot water...it will take awhile for it to return especially if you are monitoring near the meat.

Linuxr

Temp

I have my temp sensor and grill clean and for the weather conditions I have the same problem when its 7 deg. to 65 deg. As for the temp dropping when you put on the cold meat that I understand except that it never gets back up to temp during the whole cook. During Christmas I cooked a 7.5 pound prime rib and the temp outside was around 40 deg., the grill did very good at holding the temps stayed +-5 deg. But the last 4 cooks its been just not wanting to bring the temp back to what I set it to. Its like the PID controller is scared to add to many pellets to bring it back up to the setpoint. I am going to try and clean the temp probe to shine like it was new and see if it makes any difference. And by the way, I like my MAK grill, the build quality is the best I have seen in any grill and that prime rib was awesome!

Last edited:

mcschlotz

I have experienced similar getting up to temp troubles. Usually in cold and/or windy conditions. Like others I just goose the setting until it gives me what temp I want. EX) set at 225º but only gets to 215-220º regardless, so I pump up the setting to 235º and that results in a more consistent reporting of 225-230º. It's almost an automatic thing for me now having become familiar with how my smoker reacts.

farfromovin

Couple causes:
1. Dirty internal probe, gotta clean it bright and clean every couple cooks
2. wind, yup, wind will jack you up a little bit. Try turning the pit towards a different direction to fight that if necessary
3. Pellets. Different brands do different things. MAK has made considerable strides to alter their controller algorithms to keep steady temps with ALL pellet brands, but sometimes it's not perfect

JD McGee

We cook on our MAKs in all kinds of weather conditions...usually windy, rainy, and cold...temps are going to fluctuate accordingly. We have never had an issue with the end product though...perfect every time! Rule of thumb for any smoker/grill...know your pit!

Tomsmccann

I have noticed that my 1 Star has been registering 10 degrees cooler than the set point at pretty much every temperature setting, and I remembered reading this thread while smoking some chicken tonight. It's no big deal to me and I just bump the temperature up 5-10 degrees when I catch it.

The temps were pretty much spot on to the set point until I updated the software to version 3.0 the other week. Has anyone else noticed the same?

Nothing has really changed with my cooking process or weather conditions; Los Angeles temps between 50-65 degrees, lumberjack pellets, and a light 5-10 mph wind (sometimes).

I have been cooking on my MAK for about 2 months now, and absolutely love it. The technology and build quality is light years ahead of the rest. I finally have a pellet smoker that I can trust leaving on overnight or while I'm away from the house.

mcschlotz

Yup, that's MAK. They just work :) BTW: have you verified the grate temps against the Pellet Boss thermometer. Always good to know if there is a difference so you can adjust settings accordingly.

mcschlotz

Time to think about getting a toy then. Maverick 733 or something from Thermapen. Heck even an inexpensive oven thermometer placed on the grate will provide another data point to check from. Personally, I when with a calibrated Thermapen unit with detachable probe(s).

Tomsmccann

Yeah, I am slowly building out my smoking toys. I saw a Macerick was running a holiday deal, and I should have picked one up.

Top Bottom