Testing FlameZone on New Mak 1 Star

TentHunter

So far, everything I have cooked on the new MAK 1 Star has been on par with the old one. If you remember I kept the accessories from the older MAK 1 Star, and since I hadn't tested the FlameZone on the new one, I figured it was about time.

Let's throw some sirloins on and give the FlameZone a whirl, shall we?

Lookin' good...
MAKFLN1.JPG

Tasted even better! ;)
MAKFLN2.JPG

FlameZone... Check!

Saxguy

Nice. Are you just using grill mode on high with the MAK sear grate? I used the flame zones for the first time last night to make burgers and I don't know which settings to use. I started the burgers on a reg grate over a flame zone on med 5 min per side and then moved them to the searing grate over high. It took a while to get sear marks on the sear grate side and never got that crusty texture on the grate marks. I must be doing something wrong.

TentHunter

Are you just using grill mode on high with the MAK sear grate? It took a while to get sear marks on the sear grate side and never got that crusty texture on the grate marks.

Yes, turn the MAK on High. It takes a while for the searing grate to get hot, so just like ANY grill, you have to let it heat up for a good 20 minutes WITH THE LID CLOSED (don't keep opening the lid to check - you let heat escape).

Here are a couple other things I do:

► The searing grate will work on either side, but I have noticed the left side does get a little hotter (heat rises and the the flame zone is tilted up to the left).

► Start the meat on the searing grate, and leave them in pace until it's time to flip. I don't bother trying to get a cross hatch pattern pattern.

► To get good sear marks remember, moisture is your enemy for getting that Maillard reaction. Make sure the meat is as dry as possible when you put it on. Pat it dry with some clean paper towels in need be.

Saxguy

Now I know why I didn't get the sear marks. By starting the burgers over a medium heat they had too much "meat juice" on the outside by the time I moved them to the sear grate. Apparently the reverse sear method doesn't translate well to burgers.

Top Bottom